Is My Tinnitus Mild?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Widex, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi folks!
      While it's known that I'm a tinnitus sufferer since December 2016 and sufferer with increased tinnitus since October 2017. I would like to know is my tinnitus still mild..?

It started with one ear ringing with just 'eeee' sound and it was easy to habituate first time.

Since October, it has spread to my good ear, increased, and added a few new sounds to my Tinnitus (morse code sound, electric hiss sound etc).

Still, in 90% cases, I can't hear my tinnitus when I'm outside. Home time and night time are the toughest for me. I was wondering, is my tinnitus still in mild form?

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Hayden Gooddy

Hayden Gooddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s all subjective imo. I would say mild to me is people who have like, 1 sound in 1 ear that’s easy to habituate to. I have multi tonal in both ears (flatlines, mic feedback, crickets) that gets pretty loud so I don’t really count myself as mild. But I can go a long time without noticing it and it really doesn’t bug me anymore too often so I’m not severe either. When I’m fishing I have to think about it to find it lol, And then I’m like “there it is, she’s a loud one today”

3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      It sounds impossible, but it’s not a wise habit to continually monitor the volume of your tinnitus. Making your brain continually attune to this foreign sound only enhances it and thus has an undesired effect.

Tinnitus shifting and changing around ears and the head is quite common.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you @Hayden Gooddy @Pleasure_Paulie
      I'm just curious because I can't define severity of my tinnitus. It would be easier for me if I knew that my tinnitus is mild... definitely easier!

5. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      It sounds mild if you can't hear it 90% of the time outside. In fact, I wonder if you would be able to notice it even less if you wore hearing aids inside your house. It's amazing how hearing aids can amplify even a little bit of background noise so you can "mask" the maskable tinnitus with. I suggest going to a hearing aid place and getting your hearing tested. Most places I went to did it for free. If you show even a mild hearing loss, I would think the aids would help. If you really want to get fancy, you could find a place that does an extended audio gram, say one that tests hearing to 14khz or higher. I did one and found I had additional hearing loss beyond the normal 8khz range they test for. After that, I tried out a 12khz hearing aid (the Signia Primax 7px I think) and it allowed me to notice even less of my tinnitus. Unfortunately, it was expensive so I didn't get that but if I get a new pair, I think I will want to get something similar. I really liked it.

At any rate, I suggest asking a hearing aid place if they give a free trial for a decent hearing aid to see if you like it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you @JasonP
      My hearing is well, there is no hearing loss (that's what my ENT says). Actually, I was always wondering what's the function of hearing aids because I read a lot of stories where they were a life changing fact for people with tinnitus. Good to know dude!

7. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JasonP
      What sort of hearing loss do you have? Is it above 8khz?
      Sent you a PM anyway on the topic of the hearing aids.

8. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey there... I actually have mild loss at various degrees to 12khz and higher. I had my hearing tested to 14khz. Unfortunately I had to go to an audiologist to get tested that high. The 12khz aid really made a difference when I tried it. :) Maybe in the future I can buy one. :)

9. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JasonP
      That's really interesting. Did an audiologist suggest these hearing aids to you or did you research them?
      I can imagine my audiologist saying my hearing is fine and not worthwhile.
      I'm seeing a new audiologist next Thursday for an updated hearing test, so I'll see what they say.

10. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      There's a hearing aid that amplifies up to 12kHz..?? I would be interested in looking at this...

11. DimitarIV
      Creative

DimitarIV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think i saw something like that from Starkey and its called AMP

12. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I also do not hear it that loud or even not outside, but inside it is pretty loud , but it is different for everybody I guess. Some people can handle very loud ringing and feel like it is nothing and others can go crazy with very faint ringing. It is just what you can handle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I would call that mild, but as others have told you, this is all highly individual. Some people can't stand even the mild form of it.

14. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      A self-help book, Change Your Mind About Tinnitus, by Paul D'Arezzo, MD (who has tinnitus), recommends telling yourself that your tinnitus is mild, nothing more than a little background hum, etc., even if you don't currently think of it that way.

15. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yes...some say 12khz but you have to have a model that can be programmed that high to get the most benefit. Look into the Siemens Binax 7bx (I believe it's obsolete now), the Siemens/Signia Primax 7px, and the Signia 7nx hearing aid. I believe the Signia pure 7nx hearing aid came out in 2017 and has bluetooth and can connect to a smartphone but you might want to double check with a hearing aid professional.