Is My Tinnitus Temporary or Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DavidSupertramp, Sep 30, 2015.

1. DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      Hi , my name is David,
      can someone help me please ? I have a buzz or ringing sound that is constant in my left ear ! I started to experience this since i went to a party and the music was pretty loud . I went to see a doctor but he told me that theres is nothing to worry about.. But i am terrified . I have read some articles about tinnitus on the internent and it is pretty scary ! Im only 17 and just thinking of how long i have to live with this make me sad but i wont give up like that .. I have ringing in my ears since 2 days now and can someone tell me if theres a possibility that it goes away in some weeks or months or will it be there forever ? If i have to live with this all my life , how bad will it affect my life and does anyone here who has tinnitus doesnt bother him/her now ?! And do you tinnitus sufferers can sleep at night now ? Because i barely sleep and i am very tired .. Help someone

2. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @DavidSupertramp and Welcome to TT !!

I am sorry you are dealing with T at the moment...

The good thing is that it has just started after an acoustic trauma, so you have a few options but have to be done rapidly..

First of all try to protect your ears from loud noises these days as to let your ears heal from the acoustic trauma..

I have read on here that if you do a steroid course in the first week of T appearing it can help getting rid of it... Have a search on here for a thread on it... Also hyperbaric chambers should help, but once again have a search for it in here and see if you find something you think useful for you...

Was the doctor an ENT or a GP ? You need an ENT as the first days/weeks are critical in getting rid of it... So speak with your family about organizing a visit to an ENT asap...

Don't read too much around, especially the scary stories, as T is very much influenced by your emotional stage and it can appear louder than it actually is... Try to be calm and communicate with your family so they can help you stay cool and find the right treatment...

Try some natural supplements like Melatonin or Magnesium to help you relax at night and help you sleep, maybe chamomile tea or alike... If you have trouble sleeping try some masking sounds like White noises or natural sounds... I use forest or fire sounds when I need help in sleeping... Set it up a little higher than you T sound and just relax into it...

Best of luck and keep us updated !! Someone always here to help...

Take care of yourself and your ears !!!!

• Like Like x 2
    3. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      You should go to a ENT as soon as possible (T knowledgeable, it not go to another one) and, as some users say here, probably get a course of steroids, since your T is from acoustic trauma. After that, there are plenty of options, such as AM-101 trials for acute T, or AUT and RTG drugs for established T, in the mid term. Most tinnitus reduce its volume and annoyance with time, weeks or months, if not goes away on its own, it may take an undetermined amout of time but may happen.

The most important thing to do now is not panic. It will only make it worse. It's only 2 days old, this is nothing, it may go away on its own but make sure that you do what you have to do.

Do not expose yourself to loud music or loud noises in a while, get some rest for your ears. This does not mean to overprotect them with earplugs, just the normal, daily noises.

And do not read horror stories in internet, I did it and I regret it. You and your T are unique and everyone has their own evolution.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Well we can't know if it's permanent or not, if in 3-4 weeks it's not gone you can consider it as permanent i think. But do not worry : i say that be there is always a chance that it sisappeared by itself

Was it a general doctor or an ENT? An ENT would have give you corticosteroids. But it has to be given quickly and your almost off limits for that.
      Lot's of people are habituated and are not bothered by it anymore. How loud is yours? Did you have an audiogram?

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      Thanks for the support guys @Lorenzo74 @randomuser , i hope it goes away soon ..
      @Quentino It was the ENT and yes i got corticosteroids but it doesnt seems to make any difference at all :c Its a 5/10 at night and 1/10 in the morning with daily noises

6. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Give it time to heal and be and think positive..! You are only a few days in and with a bit of luck and the steroids it might resolve itself pretty soon... I think your emotional state is super important for the recovery as much as resting your ears and follow the ENT's strategy.. So try to keep mentally and physically busy, stay surrounded by people that care for you, eat and drink healthy, don't do loud places for a while, no loud music on earplugs or loud video games and hopefully you will be back on the road in no time... :)

Really wish you well... Keep us updated but don't go crazy reading too much on it... Give it time and stay cool :)

Ciao !!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Btw, just so folks know, my ENT told me that steroids are only viable if there is actual hearing loss. I was not a candidate due to there being no measurable loss. That said, maybe other ENTs will prescribe them but mine would not. Told me to give it time and allow my ears to heal. I am 5 weeks now and still have it but it is very low. It also could have been caused by ETD or TMJ or both.

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      The ENT doctor just said that i had an ear infection ( fungus ) and gave me another ear drop .. Can it be the cause or the tinnitus and also he saw a little bit of water in my ear ?

9. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Be careful with the aminoglycoside antibiotics! If you doctor has given you a aminoglycoside (*mycin, gentamicin, neomycins, sptreptomycin) it could be worse than better for you. Not trying to scare you, but to give you some advice words. It's true that there is a bit of paranoia about ototoxic meds, but there are some especially nasty. If it is a fungal infection you should be safe.

Sorry for the paranoia.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      Guys my T changed to a higher volume :c Is it normal or not ? And started to travel to the right ear slowly. I cant really sleep and i think it is getting worse . Between i developped tinnitus 5 days ago , is it sign that it is permanent?

11. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      You are understandably very upset which is usual when T first appears. I could not sleep and my anxiety went through the roof. Sleep is very important. Get some sleep meds for now, but make sure you sleep. It makes dealing with T infinitely better. Also anxiety makes T seem worse because you engage the limbic system in your brain. Try to stay calm and you will find T becomes less intrusive.

12. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anything is "normal" with tinnitus! Try not to panic. It's pretty useless saying it. Do not go online and read all the scary stuff or it will just make you petrified! It's very early days so high chance your T will go away. You need a good ear doc that you feel you can trust because you need to choose someone and listen to them. You could come here and talk to all of us and we all tell you different things. Do this, don't do that etc. no one will agree! And none of us is qualified to give medical advice. You need a doctor for that. Problem is that not all doctors are all they're cracked up to be either. So you must choose who you think is good.
      Hopefully it will all go away soon!

• Hug Hug x 1