Is My Tinnitus, Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JohnFox, Mar 12, 2019.

1. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Maybe I should just browse more, but I have a question, or maybe it's more of a comment. It seems that a very many participants of the forum have a type of tinnitus that is acquired differently than mine. I have been reading a lot of posts and it seems that most of you had some kind of "cause" to your tinnitus. Too much loud noise over time, or some other traumatic event. I know that people who work in loud environments for a long period of time can develop tinnitus, and even get it pretty bad.

It is my understanding that this type of tinnitus is the result of the nerve hairs inside the inner ear begin subjected to constant abuse, and after awhile those nerve hairs become weak and damaged and do not return to where they should be when there is no sound, and thus emit the dreaded tinnitus noise that doesn't go away.

This is not the kind if tinnitus I have. I have a sudden loss of hearing (overnight) accompanied with the onset of significant tinnitus (for no apparent reason).

Are these not two completely different types of tinnitus? As I search out for help and understanding of "my" tinnitus, what key words should I be looking for?

And when I submit a post, what word should I use so everyone will know the "type" of tinnitus I am afflicted with.

Sorry, I am sadly new to this, so I am still learning what the heck I am dealing with here. Total hearing loss in one ear is bad enough, and now I have to listen to this garbage in my head all day long.

Just wondering, how many in this forum also have total hearing loss in one ear as I do? Thnx so much for any reply. -J

2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Your ENT or ER didn't give you any ear injection for the sudden hearing loss? Isn't that protocol??

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      My tinnitus stems from decades of loud sound/abuse to my ears. Those hair cells from my ears are not going to get better and grow back. I never had sudden hearing loss, but i'd think at least there is a possible chance for recovery from sudden hearing loss(to some degree). There is no recovery for hair cells that been ruined (at least not right now).

Hang in there :)

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      tinnitus isn't coming from the hair cells being damaged, it's coming from the brain due to hair cells dying or not providing enough input.

It's like phantom limb syndrome, where a limb is lost but one can still feel the sensation of a lost limb as if it exist, you have phantom hearing symdrome due to lost hair cells and audiotory nervous tissue.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/

upload_2019-3-12_23-17-50.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for that info... I am still learning a lot of stuff about this insidious ailment.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So what your implying is that "hearing loss" is the real culprit and the Tinnitus is the brains reaction to the hearing loss no matter what is the cause of the hearing loss. That makes sense, and actually gives me a little hope that I might regain some of my hearing back, since my hearing loss is unexplainable so far. I do recall reading a lot of posts in here about those who still have their hearing but have the Tinnitus also. Maybe they do have a degree of hearing loss, but it's just not that prevailing, and the Tinnitus is. ??? Still learning...... and thnx for the reply.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Yes, that is what researchers and scientist are saying.

Audiologist aren't researchers just hearing aid salesmen.

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes, they have some degree of hearing loss, but not total deafness.