Is Negative Ear Pressure a Sign of Acoustic Neuroma? If Not, What Then?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taucher, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Taucher

Taucher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all,

Still anxiously waiting for my MRI scan results to rule out Acoustic Neuroma. I have reduced hearing, tinnitus, clicking and popping and very noticeable negative pressure - all in my right ear only.

My ENT consultant told me that he was referring me for MRI although he thought it was unlikely that I have AN. He also said that negative ear pressure is not a sign of Acoustic Neuroma. Is this true and what IS negative ear pressure a sign of?

I can't pop my ears because of the negative pressure I think, which is annoying.

Thanks!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That makes sense. Statistically speaking, ANs are quite rare.

I think it's true, yes. Pressure in the ear points to equalization problems with the middle ear, which is the Eustachian Tubes' job. So perhaps ETD.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taucher

Taucher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your reply. Yes ETD is what he mentioned and I have steroid nose spray to combat it. Thing is I have had my symptoms for exactly one year and he mentioned that that is quite a long time without saying how likely I could have ETD for that long. He also stuck a camera in my nose to look at my Eustachian tube and I think he said it looked fine. He said that my Eustachian tube could have been damaged by a virus and my problems did start after an unpleasant head cold.

Despite all this I will be convinced I have AN until told otherwise!

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Before ANYTHING is assumed about tinnitus, hearing loss and ear pain. You need to ask yourself if you have a history of loud noise exposure. Tell your doctor if you do have a history of loud noise exposure.

It's maddening when exotic diagnosis like cochlea tumors are suggested before out ruling the most common cause. If you don't have noise trauma, then your doctor will move on to other possibilities like ototoxicity/infection, trauma or genetic components. But noise should always be the first question about any hearing problem.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taucher

Taucher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I mentioned to the audiologist when I had my first test that I worry that I have used headphones daily for twenty years and without enough thought about my hearing. He told me that my hearing loss was likely a symptom of getting old (I was 39 at the time of the test). When I got the report back it said ‘History of loud noise exposure: no’.

I mentioned my listening to loud music to another doctor on a follow up hearing test and also to my consultant ENT doc. Neither thought this was significant.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      This post sums up 21st century medical inquiry on the cochlea in a nutshell.

• Agree Agree x 1