Is Relief Just a Myth?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Everyone talks about trying to find ways to cope and live with tinnitus. The "relief" or "habituation" as they call it. But tinnitus doesn't go away and gets louder in response to almost anything.

If you are angry or sad, it gets worse. If you have high serotonin or dopamine levels (associated with good mood) it gets worse because they further spur hyperactivity. Every day I think this so called "relief" or "habituation" is just a myth. It only gets worse and never better.

• Like Like x 2
    2. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I can't imagine relief for myself until tinnitus fades away. I've met others that have been able to habituate, but I don't think it can happen for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Some people seem to not be able to habituate to tinnitus, but I believe that most do, the overwhelming majority in fact, and that's a lot of people. Remember, we're not all on the same time scale, some people can do it in a few months, while others can take two or more years. I'm pretty new to T, about ten weeks or so, and I can't say what the future holds for me, but I hope that I will be able to habituate, if it doesn't go away for one reason or another. When you hear from people who have successfully habituated, they often say that they don't even think about their tinnitus most of the time, it's like it isn't even there any more, and I believe them. If relief via habituation is a myth, then it's one of the greatest, if the THE greatest, hoaxes ever successfully perpetrated. Hang in there.

4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah pretty much.

5. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Gl0w0ut , everyone experiences tinnitus differently. As @butterfly75 and @Luman stated, some people are able to habituate, some are not. And, for some habituation comes more quickly than for others. Some may not even be able to recognize habituation. I have no idea if I have habituated. I am always aware of my tinnitus. I never do not hear it.

It seems to be well established that one's mood can affect their tinnitus. Stress and anxiety do seem to play a part in many of our member's symptoms. I am sure you have seen the many posts about remaining positive and the effect positivity has on tinnitus.

It sounds to me that you are having a difficult time coping with your tinnitus (which it completely understandable). But, because everyone experiences tinnitus differently, I do not think that we should generalize and claim that relief is a myth based on our personal experiences, especially when many here have posted in the "Success Stories" section that they have achieved either complete relief from their symptoms or have learned to habituate. Some may not be able to find relief, but many here have.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Yes, just look at the majority of new people to this forum. They come, read a bit, make a few posts are move on with their life pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Relief is my dream.

8. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I am new to this forum. I have found a little relief since joining. Only people with tinnitus seem to understand people with tinnitus. Nobody else gives a f**k!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah I have the same feeling.. people can't relate and even if they do it's because they have low tinnitus and they are like : I can get over it so can you! I'm like... you don't know my nightmare bitch

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      People can relate just with their experience so it's not entirely their fault. The first months of my T was like a dream (nightmare) I never tought something like this was possible and I still don't believe it that this reality exist.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That does seem to be the case, but the good news here is that you have found this forum which contains a large number of people who do understand and who are willing to offer support to their fellow tinnitus sufferers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      I can telt you after abort 3 years with tinnitus i have move on wity My life and i have not been thinking about it for like 3 mounths Even when i hear it in still fine it does not annoy me anymore. You just need to find a way to enjoy life again i know it seems imposible right now but trust me its not ☺
      I Even have something Called visuel snow and i still were able to move on with My life it took me a long time but I got there
      I can give a advice i know its a wird one but start to not give a f*** about you symptoms And stop seaching for a cure ofc a cure would be Nice but it should nevøer control your life and also start to think positive and get alt of confidence. It helps alot :)

Sorry bad englush