Is the "Noise" of Tinnitus Really the Problem?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PConD, Mar 3, 2016.

1. PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was thinking about my tinnitus this morning (wow, really, there's a surprise :) and the effect it's having on me, and I realized is that the actual 'noise' itself if not *that* annoying or loud.

What's really messing me up right now are the other effects that stress is causing (nausea / sweating / stomach problems / disrupted sleep) due to my *reactions* to it.

Anyone else think like that? Or is this just further evidence of my encroaching insanity?

Peter

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Is the noise wasn't a problem then you wouldn't have these ''reactions'' in the first place don't you think?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Nucleo,

Don't mean for a second to say that the noise is not real or not there. It absolutely, definitely, positively, bloody well is, unfortunately. Otherwise I wouldn't here. :-(

I was just pondering how much of my particular overall response to it driven by my, admittedly subjective, sensation of the noise in dB, versus my emotional response to the sudden explicable onset/ inability to control it / etc etc.

Peter

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PConD I think the noise is one problem, and the reaction is a related but separate problem.

The other symptoms your describing basically sound like HP axis problems; your body is stuck in fight or flight.

I've been there; it doesn't really happen to me any more (well, not from tinnitus, anyway). So I'd say that for me, the noise is still a problem, but it is much better and happier to only have one problem instead of two.

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Linearb is right. The symptoms you have are the same as if you were standing on the train tracks with a train coming. Watch my video on the last page of the "Back To Silence" thread under Success Stories. There is a way around these feelings and hopefully a decrease in your T sounds too.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks linearb - now I have two problems :-p

But, yeah I think that what you say makes sense. If the noise would go away I suppose that would solve both problems, but if that is not possible, then addressing the response element may alleviate most of the issues with the noise in the first place.

I don;t know if that makes any sense - think I just need some sleep.

Peter

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks. I'll check it out.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is the basic theory behind habituation-based therapies for tinnitus. I think the degree to which they are successful depends on personal psychology, and the severity of the tinnitus.

Despite not being thrilled about my tinnitus, overall I'd say that a lot of the time I'm a pretty happy guy (oddly, overall probably more stable and less angst-ridden than when I was younger and had less severe tinnitus). However, I'm not going to kid you and say that if my tinnitus suddenly tripled it wouldn't be a big deal. So, I take the best precautions I can to keep that from happening, within reasonable limits, and then just try to live my life. Maybe there will be a cure or better treatment some day, maybe not, but I can't put my life on hold in the meantime.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great video IWLM. I'm gonna try this out starting today - let you know how it goes.

And on that note, going to sign off from the endless online searching and googling for a couple of weeks too.

Cheers.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    10. Bella39

Bella39 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Yes I agree,Peter, 100% . I have increasing tinnitus and it is getting severe...I must use my mind to accept and relax... But I hope for a cure...SOON!