Is There a Definitive Test for a Fistula Between the Middle and Inner Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MJ Burton, Nov 27, 2018.

1. MJ Burton

MJ Burton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As my recent 7 week incredible tinnitus spike and hearing change was caused by an occasion event... I'm wondering if I could have a fistula between the middle and inner ear.

Does anyone know what would be the test for this? Would a CT scan show it?

My voice immediately sounded weaker after the event.. muffled. And now have bad hyperacusis.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think it depends on the size of the fistula and the resolution of the CT machine.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      What was the event?
      If it is not, unintentionally, an indiscreet question, of course.

After my tinnitus onset I remember that straining on the toilet may times triggered an "eeeeeeeeeeeee". Very scary!
      Later I read somewhere that when you have a fistula stool softeners are recommended, so straining is avoided, so healing, the closing of the fistula, has best conditions to happen.

I have also old tinnitus, 10 years.
      It is worse now.
      I do not know the exact cause of my tinnitus, many things happened. Now I am thinking one of the following three: fistula, endolymphatic hydrops and ETD, eustachian tubes dysfunction, and after 10 years of tinnitus (now much worse) I still do not know the answer to that question...
      And prior to tinnitus onset I had terrible acoustic trauma...

@MJ Burton