Is There a Place on Earth Where People Live with No Silence?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mentos, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      i recently wonder if there are places on earth where people live never experiencing silence? Maybe some islands on the ocean and beach huts, perhaps in a Amazonia Jungle? I just think that in case I cannot handle living my life with T where I could escape and live my life there? Does anyone consider such escape and do you think there are places like this?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I don't understand. None of us experiment silence. A scientist recently explained a research he made : he was looking for places with NO human noise. He found about 50 tiny places in the world where you can't hear a noise created by humans. That's it.

But even in those places, silence was not perfect, because of nature sounds. There's always something.

So if you don't want silence, just live where you are or just move to the nearest road or river. You are not experiencing silence today, even if what you constantly hear is not enough to mask your T ;)

This planet is full of sound.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think you're fully right, in my bedroom it's dead silent. My T is mild and nature sounds easily mask my T. I think about moving to live close to noisy nature płace full of sounds of nature 24/7 where I would simply NEVER hear my T. I think it's still a better solution than suicide which I tend to idealize quite often. So if I ever seriously consider leaving this world i would rather move to noisy płace first in order to save my life and my soul

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Your bedroom is not dead silent (unless it's a professional grade soundproof cabin), it's just too silent for you, and I totally get that ;)

Anyway, all I'm saying is that if nature sounds is what you need, you don't have to move to a lost island or to the jungle. You'll find your ideal place quite close.

And yes, it's far better than suicide. If you decide to enjoy simple things like bird songs and leaves blowing in the wind, you'll maybe be happier than ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      I only wish my T was very mild and masked by nature sounds. I would be extremely happy . I would give anything to have mild T over this horror. My life is no more than a three ring shit show!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear about your sufferinh, but you never know if having mild T would make you happy. I have it mild and feel unhappy with it, perhaps because I don't know what severe T means, I only compare my life with T free life which makes me anxious and unhappy. That's why i think i would be happier living in nature that would mask my T instead of artficially creating sound rich environment. I just can't imagine being happy with mild T, even though my wife has it and she says she's happy. I'm simply always either anxious or depressed, that's what my life is for the last 1.5 years. I just look for any, literally any Opportunity to help myself including moving out to live in nature surrounded 24/7 by nature sounds

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No i quite like living in the suburbs of London and if my t is annoying i'll play some purple noise.

8. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Short of moving to a remote island, try masking the sound with something. I have a large air purifier that I run 24/7 that makes for a great white noise machine. If my T is particularly intense, I can flip on natural sounds on my computer or my phone artificially.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I've had mild unilateral steady T for 12 years. I was totally happy.
      Now I have bilateral severe changing T, and I'm not ok with it.

Some people will suffer a lot with only a mild T, there's no shame in that, but don't forget it could be way worse. It will help you to learn how to live with it and to enjoy the present moment.

Nothing masks mine, but nature sounds still help. So it's a good thing you are looking for solutions. If anything, this T + H nightmare helped me to look for a new life. I'm someone new now. Not happy yet, but I feel like I'm a more interesting person today.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      What you mean nothing masks it? No white/purple noise does? Theres nothing you can go to for total releif?

11. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      There is nothing I can do to mask it because :
      - my T is quite fucking powerful
      - I have mild to moderate hearing loss (up to 65dB at 6000 Hz)
      - I have severe H and white noise is really annoying even at low volume

I still manage to appreciate a light wind noise or things like that, when I'm hiking in the mountains.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's what I do, I always have nature sounds, pink noise or radio on. When i feel bad I even put my phone in the shirt's pocket and walk like that whole day. Still i find natural masking sounds like traffic noise or real nature sounds much more comforting. It's psychological, artficially created masking even if identical with natural sounds makes me feel disabled, whereas surrounded by natural sounds I feel ok. BTW since I loved travelling to Asia I always considered to move there somehere to beach hut or Jungle village once I retire. Now I just consider to advance this move. As stated in some other post I still give myself 5 years to either habituate and start feeling better or a cure to pop-up. If after 5 years I'm in the same state I'm now I think I will decide to move out to the beach or Jungle. I was interested to see if anyone else shares similar feeling or already started to look for relevant location

13. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      @Mentos I wish you all the best friend . I hope I didn't offend you . I did not mean to . Its just that my T is so bad there is no sound on this planet can mask it and I have tried so hard. My T is massively loud .It has almost driven me to suicide.
      Many ,many times I have wished myself dead .
      At this very moment my head is SCREAMING . I have a video on at top volume and my T is far far louder as usual. I cannot adequately describe how loud my T is.
      Anyhoo i hope you find peace

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sure no offense buddy. I symphatize with you and I adore you for your strength in dealing with severe T. I think we all look for solutions to find relief, be it mild, moderate or severe case. I know a lady from my T Support group I participate to in my city who has got 90dB screaming in both ears due to Meniere for 30 years already. She says she lives a happy life, she loughs, smiles, interacts intensively with other people who are more depressed with much lower volume. She's my hero, as all severe T sufferers I met in my life and on this forum. Still I need my own way to find emotional peace

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. shrimp
      Balanced

shrimp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SCDS, Possibly Ciprofloxacin also.
      I often think about that stuff @Mentos , maybe not about moving there myself although I have at times entertained the thought of living beachside with wave sounds 24/7 to keep my T at bay. But more that when I feel panicky about never living in silence again I remind myself that living in silence is not 'natural' to begin with, and not something most people on the planet do anyways, just that thought seems to give me some sense of normal I guess when I feel like I'm going mad. I sometimes question whether I would even know I had gotten T if I lived in a jungle with constant loud crickets etc. As it happens I live in probably one of the absolutely quietest nations on the planet, far up north in Finland and in a log house in the countryside, so my T bothers me a LOT even though its not super loud. Outside is always better than indoors though, as nature does tend to be more noisy in a soothing way than the silent indoors.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @shrimp I agree there even may be some people with T living in jungles, beach etc. not even knowing they have it. This thought also comforts me a lot and gives perspective. But if I would move to the Jungle I sometimes question myself would I ever forget I have T even if masked 24/7 by crickets or would I always be aware that it's there and this would still trouble my thought to some extent.
      BTW I think many T sufferers idealize living in the nature to be surrounded by sounds 24/7, but I wonder how many of them finally decides on that step and move to alwsys noisy place

• Good Question Good Question x 1