Is There a Test to Determine if Tinnitus Is from Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PDTemplar, Feb 2, 2017.

1. PDTemplar

PDTemplar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So many things can cause tinnitus, in my case it could be anything noise exposure, food allergies, anxiety/stress etc. I have NO IDEA.

I noted there is pain in my right ear. My general practice doctor looked in my ears with a small device, I believe it is called an otoscope. My right ear had some bubbles in it, I don't know the technical name of the bubbles. Anyways, when I got home and googled it I found that the bubbles could potentially be caused by food allergies, and I realized that I had recently introduced yogurt for the probiotic... I stopped eating the yogurt, and I am literally praying to god that it solves it but I am still remaining vigilant trying other methods.

On a sidenote, sometimes my T fluctuates. I will have a weird sensation in my ear, and then it will get very loud, like 3-5x as loud as normal. And then after 10-20 seconds it will go back to baseline. I have no idea what is going on here.

I am going to an acupuncturist tomorrow, I am having 2 mercury fillings removed, I am taking a supplement regimen etc...

I am considering doing hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Although I am concerned of the risks associated with it. My primary question is simple, is there a test to determine if ringing in the ears is from sound exposure? For instance are there microscopic otoscopes that can accomplish this by seeing . I would really like an answer to this. Also is hyperbaric oxygen helpful in treating other forms of Tinnitus, for instance anxiety induced?

2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      An audiologist can do a hearing test - request one above 8khz. Tinnitus is not always related to hearing loss, but often accompanies it. Ear pressure is common from tinnitus, but often gets better.

HBO is generally an idea for noise trauma related, but even so it's efficacy is quite debatable and seems antidotal.

The desire to find the cause is part of the grief process so you're not alone. I can also tell you that you may never know as well.

See an ent and get all the regular health checkouts to rule out anything major then it's important you start deal it emotionally. Tinnitus is very psychological so I recommend seeking professional help there as well.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PDTemplar

PDTemplar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Currently doing CBT, been to an audiologist. My hearing is within normal range. Ent was basically useless.

• Agree Agree x 1