Is There a Way to Limit the Volume of the Sounds Made By My PC?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, May 23, 2017.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I watch video clips on my computer, I try to set the volume as low as possible. I found that things like sudden gun shots still sound too loud. Are you aware of any software or computer setting that would allow me to watch video clips at higher volume, and yet not allow the volume to exceed a certain threshold level?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I keep my volume off on my computer and will adjust to a video. My T always goes up after being behind the computer for more than 15 minutes at a time and even sooner at night. I have a nice computer, wireless keyboard and mouse, but there's some very low fan output. I moved my Wi-Fi broadband away from where I'm sitting and have it turned where the ports aren't inline with my head. My dentist told me good posture and keeping my mouth closed while beyond the computer will help. For us with T & H, there's so many weird things that we need to be aware of like electric equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. tinniwalker

tinniwalker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, HF hearing loss
    4. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      You might just be perceiving the gunshot as being louder. But I hate on a movie you can barely hear the dialogue but everything else is loud.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's how it feels a lot of the time!

Thank you. I am a little concerned about it not having a graphical interface, but I will try it.

6. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Bill Bauer

I have my speakers backwards pointing towards the wall, and a towel over them as well. This seems to help because I never get exposed to any direct sounds. Of course I always make sure that my volume is set to 0, before I play any you tubes, and I always return then volume back to 0 after I'm done playing a you tube or video. This way I don't forget for the next time I use them again. It's a good habit to get in to. Better safe then sorry.

Anyway

Works for me, good luck Bill

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
    7. tinniwalker

tinniwalker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, HF hearing loss
      actually it has it. After installation run C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\Editor.exe . It's quite intuitive.

8. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      I'm using ffdshow filters both for video and audio, one very useful feature in the audio section is to remove low frequency up to 300hz from all channels and adjust gain.

That way, voices are intelligible and shotguns, accidents etc are not bothersome anymore.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for the tip. Done!
      I installed the software. I will restart my pc soon, and then I will be able to benefit from this software.
      Are these filters part of Equalizer APO software?

I am very grateful for everyone's tips!

10. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Bill Bauer

Your welcome, I hope that it works out for you. When I think about it, I remember Boss was using that Idea for years, bouncing the music off of the walls, and or the corners of rooms to mellow out the over all sound.

Louie

Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
    11. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      These filters aren't part of any software as far as i know

• Like Like x 1
    12. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Today I got my 'volume limited earphones' by mail. They let you increase the volume but, they can't be increased to go into unsafe levels. I tried them, and they do cap at a certain point and don't get any louder. Perhaps still to loud if you have hyperacusis but a considerable improvement if you tell me.
      They come with 3 size eartips and there designed for kids, but hey I don't care, even if its just to sponsor manufacturers that make earplugs with integrated volume limiters im all for these.
      https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/ek5.html
      They might be what your looking for.

I would compare regular earphone manufacturers with those ancient car salesmen that would sell early cars without seatbelts. If you make an accident then its obviously the drivers fault because he needed to do better driving with the car, this was the thinking back in the very old days (got this from a documentary). Then later all cars have seatbelts.
      I will be going for protected earphones.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Using my computer for more than 15 or 20 minutes makes my tinnitus worse, also. I am sure that Michael Leigh is right about keeping the tower in another room from where you access the screen, but it will be very difficult to do a setup like that where I live.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1