Is There Such Thing as *Too Much* Masking / Sound Enrichment?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattS, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MattS

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Hi all,

Until recently I've found myself coping quite well without a lot of masking - the noises are always there, but they'd settled in a bit, and I was actually at the point of still being able to enjoy "quiet", even if that quiet included my noises. Lately I've been getting more bothered by them, however, and so have been masking more often.

I know that with plugs they say "use when you need to, but don't over-use". Is it the same thing with masking? Can there be *too much* masking? Maybe slow healing? Lead to an over-reliance on the mask? Prevent the ears from experiencing true quiet? I dunno... just wondering people's thoughts.

Cheers,
      Matt

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If masking is done with low enough volume (lower than your tinnitus) and not directly to your ears with headphone or earbuds, then it is considered sound enrichment. I think TRT encourages the use of sound enrichment. Like all things, moderation is the key.

3. A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      from my experience, always lower volume than your tinnitus, and only when it it is most annoying you and/or most needed, (eg. working, sleeping, high anxiety periods) is the best healing method. too much and too loud can be bad imo.