Is There Such Thing as *Too Much* Masking / Sound Enrichment?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattS, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Hi all,

Until recently I've found myself coping quite well without a lot of masking - the noises are always there, but they'd settled in a bit, and I was actually at the point of still being able to enjoy "quiet", even if that quiet included my noises. Lately I've been getting more bothered by them, however, and so have been masking more often.

I know that with plugs they say "use when you need to, but don't over-use". Is it the same thing with masking? Can there be *too much* masking? Maybe slow healing? Lead to an over-reliance on the mask? Prevent the ears from experiencing true quiet? I dunno... just wondering people's thoughts.

Cheers,
      Matt

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If masking is done with low enough volume (lower than your tinnitus) and not directly to your ears with headphone or earbuds, then it is considered sound enrichment. I think TRT encourages the use of sound enrichment. Like all things, moderation is the key.

3. A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      from my experience, always lower volume than your tinnitus, and only when it it is most annoying you and/or most needed, (eg. working, sleeping, high anxiety periods) is the best healing method. too much and too loud can be bad imo.

4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Constant noise and constant silence are both bad.

If your pitch is shrill and cuts thru the mix of day to day life well, you may be tempted to make masking noises loud. This will fatigue your ears.

This works differently for everyone - but for me I found it helpful to both sit in silence and get used to / meditate on the tone, and also to mask it when I truly needed to relax.

My tinnitus has largely faded and I'm also totally habituated but I still sleep with some noise in the room. Summer it's an AC, winter it's a humidifier. I prefer not to listen to it at night. But I did find it helpful to stew in it mid day for increasing periods of time when I was in the freak out phase. It's almost like being tickled. At first it's torture - but as you get older it's just a touch sensation.

• Like Like x 3
    5. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Tom, I think I have this exact same thing. The high pitched nature makes me feel like I'm being tickled all of the time. Did this ever get better for you? It's driving me crazy.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm mostly fine these days.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Here is a recent post (I was the one who underlined the relevant text in it) that is related to the "would be hilarious, if it weren't dangerous" claim above:

8. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      Im not using it anymore, but did for months after onset. On my first try I put a "sounds of nature" in my headphones, louder than T and went to sleep.

Boy, was that a bad idea. Next day my T was killing me, at least thrice louder than normal. Fortunatelly no long-term lasting effects, but afterwards I used it when going to sleep, let phone on other side of the bed with the sound just below the sound of T and never had any issues with it. As T gradually habituated, I stopped using them.

But one of the reasons why I did was that I was afraid that I will create phobia to silence. And so when it comes, what I get is anxiety from tinnitus being at loudest, which in turn will fuel the tinnitus to be even louder (perception-wise).

9. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bill, I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here.

10. Chris55

Chris55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I just started having tinnitus for the past 10 days after an episode of vertigo. It helps to read through your experiences. I’m anxious by nature and really freak out reading the horror of people considering suicide. I know a lot of people cope. I pray for everyone. Started taking an SSRI 3 days ago and now learning how they can cause or exacerbate. This is a tough affliction.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      You want to train your brain to get used to your tinnitus and learn your brain to focus on something else instead of your tinnitus. If you use sound enrichment that's in a volume that overshadows your tinnitus, you won't ever get used to your tinnitus or learn to shift focus from your tinnitus. That's why it's recommended to put on a volume where you can still hear your tinnitus but your focus is on the sound enrichment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. zozil_radical

zozil_radical Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from MRI Machine
      Years ago, before I had severe tinnitus, I used to use a white noise machine while sleeping. After a few months of using the machine, I noticed I would have tinnitus in the morning. When I stopped using the machine, the tinnitus went away.

Based on my experience, I believe white noise can cause or exacerbate tinnitus. I think many people on this forum are making a MISTAKE by using white noise.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Mr_Orange_3737

Mr_Orange_3737 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax syringing removal
      Did your tinnitus go away slowly or all of a sudden after you stopped the white noise?

Did you use any other types of sounds for masking or sound enrichment? Or just sleep in a silent room?

I have a air purifier on at night which sounds like white noise.

I've noticed that sleeping on the side of my ringing side can make the tinnitus super quiet in mornings. I'm thinking of testing out sleeping in a silent room for a week.

Did you have hyperacusis too? I know white noise has helped with this issue for some people.

14. zozil_radical

zozil_radical Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from MRI Machine
      Slowly. Gradually. Over the course of a few days.
      When I noticed the white noise machine was causing my tinnitus, I stopped using it immediately and slept in a silent room. My tinnitus then went away after a few days. I starting using the machine again a few months later. Predictably, my tinnitus came back when I started to use the machine again. Fortunately, it disappeared again after I stopped using the machine.

My conclusion: a white noise machine can cause tinnitus. Don’t use white noise.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Mr_Orange_3737

Mr_Orange_3737 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax syringing removal
      I'm going to need to figure something out because I rely on my air purifier (this counts as white noise right?) for allergy control. Might have to just vacuum very often for a month instead.

My tinnitus seems very reactive, almost like a total side effect of my hyperacusis. When I usually wake up in the middle of the night around 4 am and it's silent, I sometimes think it my tinnitus has gone away because it's just that quiet.

Different masking sounds in the night seem to produce a different type of tinnitus in the morning too. I've had the electricity tinnitus (most common), the pulsating tinnitus, the pure tone tinnitus, and the birds chirping tinnitus.

16. Jim Vasilakis

Jim Vasilakis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Can sound enrichment with nature sounds aka crickets and waterfalls cause hyperacusis?

I'm worrying since I'm playing masking sounds a lot during the day and night to help me sleep that I might be causing fatigue to my auditory system.

I play the sounds at very low volume and for about 4 hours each night.