Is This a Spike? Or Is This a Long Fleeting Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michelle G, May 26, 2017.

1. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      Hello, I am 15 years old and it is currently midnight where I live. I was just about to fall asleep when my left ear started ringing really badly. I got tinnitus over a month ago from a very loud concert. The volume went down substantially after the first week and I thought it was getting better. I also developed Eustachian tube dysfunction which has been really bad lately. I was put on a small dose of prednisone for a week.

This was my fourth day on it. My tinnitus was relatively constant and was the same noise and level. I got fleeting tinnitus once which was absolutely horrible, but it went away after a few seconds.

At first I thought I was getting another episode of fleeting tinnitus, but it has been half an hour and still hasn't gone away. My left ear definitely feels blocked, but my ear always feels like that since getting ETD.

I am really upset as I was just starting to get used to the noise as I only heard it in quiet rooms. Plus, the prednisone was really helping to bring down the volume.

Now, it it soft but a very high pitch and I don't know what to do. I cannot sleep even with my melatonin as I can hear it over everything. It is so different to what I have had before and only in my left ear.

Why? I wasn't exposed to any noises too loud and have been careful with my ears. It literally came out of nowhere. I have a huge presentation tomorrow for school and cannot sleep.

The ringing that I have now in my left ear gets louder and then goes back to soft, then louder again, then soft.

What is this? Is this a spike?

How long does this last?

Or is this a long fleeting tinnitus?

Please, I am looking for advice from anyone. My prayers are with all of you

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It could be down to stress and anxiety or maybe sinus problems like allergy.
      I would see your doctor .
      You could try a mucous linctus and non drowsy allergy tablet and steam inhalation.
      Try stay calm and relax and maybe over the weekend it might settle down.

We are here around the clock to support you .
      Good luck with your presentation and let us know how it goes.
      Love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      Thank you for your response! It still hasn't gone down and the volume and pitch is still fluctuating. I almost feel deaf in my left ear. I have tried decongestants, inhaling steam, steroids, etc. but nothing seems to get rid of this full feeling. I'm scared that this is sudden hearing loss hiding as congestion

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would try a non drowsy allergy tablet to reduce mucous and see your doctor whom might prescribe a nasal spray.
      Love glynis