Is This Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by michaelbio, Nov 17, 2016.

1. michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      Sorry if this is not in the right forum, but I can't tell what exactly is going on with my ears, and the anxiety is only making it worse.

When people talk, I talk, and certain background sounds such as wind, can create this 'ingggg' sound over the external noise. I do have tinnitus, but this doesn't seem like a spike or anything.

I've have gotten this before, but in a very subtle tone. Lately, more often I was getting it, but this week it has gotten more prevalent.

Not all sounds cause it. My ears also aren't in pain when it happens. I do notice that my sinuses and ears seem to always be filled with mucous. Sometimes if I blow my nose, I feel like my ears just opened up. I was thinking of just taking some OTC decongestants.

So I am not sure if this is hyperacusis. I haven't exposed myself to any loud noise recently.

It is just getting me very anxious, like I should be expecting the worse to come...

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @michaelbio
      Not an easy one to answer I'm afraid, as your symptoms could indicate other conditions such as ETD. The fact that you are experiencing sinus problems with mucous might rule out hyperacusis. If I were you I'd ask to be referred to ENT and get it looked at, rather than just using decongestants. For you are treating the symptom and not the cause.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      That's not hyperacusis. What you're describing is tinnitus.

Tinnitus can do some weird shit sometimes.

4. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      Wow, yeah a lot of people do. Mine is strange, simply moving around can create the feedback sound, the minute I stop moving it goes away. It comes every few weeks and leaves, then comes back. But this time it seems more reactive. And of course the more I stress and worry about it, the more it gets annoyed.

I have xanax but for some reason I never take it. Probably will end up taking it, if I can't calm myself down at this point. Stupid ears.

6. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Yea vicious cycle! I hope the feedback will subside..I already miss my old T lol

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @michaelbio ,
      You might find a antihistamine might help as could be a reaction to something filling your tubes with mucous.
      Give it a try and let us know.. ..lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
    9. Capricornus
      Inspired

Capricornus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have the same thing, and I don't have any ETD related problems... It's very strange. I personally believe that it could be linked to hyperacusis in some way. I'm only 4,5 weeks in with this T thing, so I hope that it will resolve in time (I have mild H). If you have clogged sinuses it could be because of that too. Don't stress about it. I have talked with some people on TT that have experienced the same thing, and they no longer have it.