Is This Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by spikedears, Mar 14, 2018.

1. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Hi guys,

Is this hyperacusis; I need some advice!

I just visited the Co Op in Kentish Town (where I live). I was wearing earplugs and have been for a while.

The music didn’t seem too loud (they play it through overhead speakers). Anyway, as I was walking to the till maybe I passed directly underneath one (I am 6 foot 6) but the music seemed to go so loud and I felt s sharp pain in my right ear.

This discomfort is still here. I got out my phone app and the noise was reading 78db. I can’t understand why in that moment it seemed so deafening and painfully loud!

All advice welcome!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your ears and auditory system are probably sensitive to sound the likely cause of this is the overuse of earplugs, which causes more harm than good. Please click on the links below and read my posts. If you have had tinnitus since 2004 you really shouldn't be having these problems unless, you are using headphones which I don't recommend even at low volume, for someone with noise induced tinnitus. Or you have been attending places were loud music is played.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There's not enough information to try to figure out whether you have hyperacusis. You might have recruitment, which consists of your ears reacting turning up the volume of sounds perceived when those sounds are in a frequency where you have hearing loss, it can be mild hearing loss.

Severe hyperacusis is very obvious, every sound would bother you and most impact sounds, the most obvious being dishes clanking, but also anything dropping to the floor (a pen), heels.. all that would be perceived super loud.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1