Is This Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dm222, Apr 8, 2018.

1. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      Hi,

As I've been with tinnitus for 6 weeks, and from week four or so I've been noticing a bip bip hearing everyday noises, like when I type on a keyboard I hear the sound but also something like a metallic distortion.

And if I keep for example typing for long the tinnitus spikes for a few minutes.

What is this? Will it ever go away?

I don't feel pain or so but my tinnitus is so sensitive to noise that it spikes by every noise, literally by every noise....

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      It’s called “reactive tinnitus” I get that sometimes, it eventually goes away for me after like 2 weeks. If it was Hyperacusis, you’d be in pain.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me it's not going away and this is worse than the tinnitus itself.

It makes me stay at home every minute I can.

My life is basically over.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Go and get a hearing test to rule out a cochlear (inner ear) problem

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Some people believe there is a thing called Reactive tinnitus but in my opinion, there is not such condition. It was a term made up in tinnitus forums. Reactive tinnitus is hyperacusis, and it comes in different levels of severity. Not everyone feels pain with hyperacusis as it is experienced differenlty between people and one can have it mild, moderate or severe...

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your life is not over but it will if you convince yourself that it is. If you listen to negative people in this forum then you will reinforce this belief so try not to do this. Go to my "started threads" and read my posts and they will help you have a more positive outlook on life. You are in the early stages of tinnitus but things will get better, that I'm sure just give it time.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Aegaeon

Aegaeon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      At first I thought it was only “reactive” tinnitus but over time when I started re-exposing myself to all kinds of noises I found out there’s much more to it than just tinnitus going up with sound for example squealing brakes sound louder than before, there’s aural fullness, random pains and various other peculiarities which makes me think that decreased sound tolerance is the culprit in these cases. And no, I don’t get ear pain directly from sound. Also, I’ve only heard of people with hyperacusis having this problem. So I don’t think this is a coincidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you improve your condition somehow?

I got this without overprotecting...

9. Aegaeon

Aegaeon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Maybe, a little... nothing that I’m satisfied with so far.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've read your threads about it, but cant understand about sound enrichment... Every sound makes my tinnitus worse so it has to get worse before it gets better?

In fact if I have a silent night and wake up at 3 or 4 am my tinnitus is gone.
      In the morning starts to build up again.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      On your Avatar is reads you've had tinnitus for just 2 months perhaps less. Tinnitus fluctuates a lot in the early stages, so can take a while to settle down. If it is a cold and ear syringing that has caused the tinnitus, it's not easy to determine to what extent? It is good sign that you have periods when the tinnitus is silent and hopefully, they will become longer. I advise using a sound machine for "sound enrichment" at night. Use nature sounds. You can download sounds from the internet to your mobile phone and bluetooth it to an external speaker or plug into a docking station for better sound quality. Using the phone's internal speaker will not provide adequate sound enrichment.

It can take many months to habituate and you are in the very early stages. Continue reading my posts on my "started threads" as they can be helpful in reinforcing postive thinking. I advise you not to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume. Give it time and contiue using sound enrichment whenever possible. Have it playing softly in the background and be careful not to let the sound mask or cover-up your tinnitus.

Michael

• Like Like x 1