Is This Hypercacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jorboar, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Jorboar

Jorboar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 17, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I had a question regarding the definition of hyperacusis, as what I'm experiencing doesn't seem to line up exactly with what I've read the condition to be.

As a little background, my tinnitus started in mid August after I went on a short tour with my band. I had been playing live music with no ear protection for about 5 years from the time I was 15.

My hyperacusis (or what I'm assuming it is) started about a month after that. However, what has me confused is when exactly my ears will hurt. Whenever I'm met with a loud/prolonged noise, my ears won't immediately respond with pain, but they will randomly sting throughout the next day regardless of what type of noise environment I'm in. Is hyperacusis a specifically immediate pain response to loud/prolonged noise exposure? I don't know if my inner ear randomly stinging during the day could actually be a symptom of my initial noise exposure, so I'm just trying to figure out if hyperacusis seems like a proper diagnosis in order for me to properly address it. Sorry if this is somehow a stupid question. Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Hyperacusis is not a disease, that's the symptoms of a disease. You need to find where is the disease of your hyperacusis.
      I have delayed pain too what is horrible 'cause sometimes I'm not enough protected in noisy situations.

The problem is not from your inner ear (hear cells & co). It could. Maybe you have a hole in a cochlea, maybe you lose hair cells...maybe maybe, you have to find the reason of that.

For exemple, mine comes from TTTS induced by noise. I had an acoustic shock. Noise decreased my tolerance and hurts the muscle which create anxiety, anxiety contract again the muscle that creates more decreased in the sound tolerance, etc, etc.