Is This Now It? Or Can It Go Away If You Have Mild Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Earache, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Earache

Earache Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hello. So yesterday the audiologist confirmed I have a slight/mild hearing loss in left ear. I have has high pitched tinnitus in that ear for 3 months following a concert.
      I asked him if the hearing loss meant it would be permanent tinnitus...he said probably..

I just wondered if anybody knows if tinnitus can go away when mild hearing loss is present. This is getting me down. Thanks.

2. Burnsie

Burnsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      yup...it hasnt with me (2.5 years....my hearing was fine, but might have hidden loss).

But there's many research papers on here showing that a lot of T does indeed go away...and even if it doesn't, it get better with time

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      There is also hope, as medical research is currently being conducted on hearing loss and tinnitus, that there will be a cure.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Your tinnitus can still become quieter, change its pitch or disappear. I'd say it's still too early to say whether it's permanent or not. There are people who reported their tinnitus slowly but surely diminishing over the course of one year or even two years. Make sure to protect your ears from now on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earache

Earache Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi Autumnly..So there is a tiny bit if hope it could dissapear even with the mild hearing loss

6. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes, there is, but unfortunately if could also be permanent. However, the vast majority eventually habituates. Even if it doesn’t go away, it can still become quieter or change from its high pitch to a hiss, which a lot of people find more bearable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I had mild hearing loss doctor said it would go away 90% after hearing loss becomes normal. WAITED for a month and second month past and T is still there. hearing is normal. He gave up and referred me to hearing therapist / audiologist.

I know people whose T went away after 5months, 3 months, 9months and 5years and I know people who habituated.
      Either case i see that am trying to see habituation as my only cure because finding for T to go away completely is making me emotionally weak. I am trying for habituation not sure what god has in store for me. I am sure your T will fade down. Please be careful with cold and cough. do not try to fall sick.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      am sorry this was wrongly sentenced. I meant please be careful.... for me cold and cough spiked T and took away my little habituation in 2months. Giving my 2 cents of advice :)

9. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I think after 3 months it's likely to be permanent. You'll be ok though. Keep a positive mind and you'll habituate even quicker.

10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I have mild loss and my t has always been a soft static white noise, never the high pitch squeal. My loss is at 3/4khz.

@Bill Bauer do you still have high pitcb or is it more of a white noise now?

11. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have moderate-moderately severe hearing lose and yet my T comes and goes. Sometimes it's bad for weeks, then it recedes to a comfortably dull level which lasts for about as long before shifting again. It's fine right now and I can go at least half-a-day without noticing it. I'm not an expert, but hearing loss isn't always the cause for T. T is simply a symptom of some kind of neurological damage that may not necessarily be connected to your hearing. So audiology may not be your only venue for exploring what can be done. But at the same time, be cautious about what venues you choose to take. There's a lot of snake oil out there.

12. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would say never say never...
      Love glynis