Is This One Possible Way Anti-Histamines May Reduce Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Oct 20, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have used antihistamines a few times and a few times they dropped my tinnitus. I remember especially after I combined it with melatonin and woke up the next day with lower T. I also remember not taking it with melatonin and it seemed to lower my T the next day but I don't remember it lowering it after that. I have heard others that have used anti-histamines to lower tinnitus. According to Wikipedia

"Histamine release in the brain triggers secondary release of excitatory neurotransmitters such as glutamate and acetylcholine via stimulation of H1 receptors in the cerebral cortex."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihistamine

Is it possible that it has something to do with affecting glutamate levels? There may be another mechanism so if you know, please tell me.

• Like Like x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Which anti histamines did you use

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hydroxyizine and meclizine but I can't remember if it works for 2 days in a row.

4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I am far from an expert but it may have something to do with freeing up Eustachian Tube blockage...sinus drainage etc.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yeah, that was my first thought as well. That could be it.

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Bumping this thread.

I think histamine interacts (inhibits) KV channels and has an effect on Glutamate release = excitation.

I'm pretty sure that's the proposed mechanism of Quercetin and Cilantro on the KV channels via their histamine lowering ability.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I feel a direct correlation to my level of hissing with histamine foods. I spike quickly and now am being more aware of the trigger foods. I had a nice piece of fresh, sustainably caught poached salmon with scallions and capers. Nope, the scallions were raw and capers in vinegar. Spiked within 2 hours after a mild day.

8. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Diphenhydramine and Doxylamine Succinate both reduce my tinnitus significantly.