Is This Positive Progression?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TWK, Feb 19, 2018.

1. TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I developed tinnitus just over a month ago. I was on telmisartan (blood pressure drug), and developed a severe inner ear infection with fluid. Had headaches, dizziness, and tinnitus. My ETs were definitely not working properly - I couldn't pop my ears. The tinnitus was extremely loud and high pitched.

I unconsciously developed a massive stress response to the tinnitus and ear infection - my blood pressure was uncontrolled by the med, and my pulse rate became constantly elevated. Adrenaline was constantly pouring into my system. I stopped the telmisartan, and two weeks after the infection started, I started taking a beta blocker (bisoprolol) to help control the adrenaline response. I was getting no sleep whatsoever and lost a bunch of weight.

About 1.5 weeks ago, the main infection cleared up, and I started to be able to do the Valsalva maneuver. Since that time, I've been using Avamys (corticosteroid spray) and daily steam with menthol. One ear is clearly "sticking" a bit though. Around that time, the tinnitus started to have short breaks where the volume either dramatically reduced or it stopped altogether. Also around that time, I developed sensitivity to certain sounds - my kids, although I love them, are the worst when they're loudly yelling and playing. My ears are really now really sensitive to loud scenes, and family gatherings have definitely triggered worse tinnitus.

I saw an ENT one week ago - almost useless. Said my ears looked clear - no fluid, and "IF" my T was viral in origin, it would likely resolve in several more weeks. My hearing test results were excellent, and my eardrums moved normally.

In the last week, the breaks have become more frequent and the tinnitus has reduced in volume. On a scale of 1-10, in the beginning it was 8-10. Now the 8-10 whine has largely turned to a low volume hiss, strength of 1-2, with some breaks with none at all. Thankfully, the insane stress response mounted by my brain and body also seems to have resolved, with my heart rate having returned to normal, and much less adrenaline pouring into me.

I have became convinced that the beta blocker is also exacerbating the T since in the last several days, I noticed that it would spike about an hour after I took the med, and would stay high for the next 12-14 hours. Tied in with that, last night was the first night I reduced the dose of the beta blocker and it was the first night where the volume of the tinnitus stayed low. Looking to ween myself off it over the coming weeks.

I guess what I'm wondering is:
      1) Looks like the T is slowly resolving itself (?).
      2) Is the sensitivity to sound likely to resolve as well, or likely to stay?
      3) Anything else I should do? Prednisone is surely out for me - I'm very sensitive to most meds, and I'm quite sure that I would suffer pretty horrible side-effects with it.
      4) Any similar stories out there with a successful ending?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Ok, this is just too cruel. :mad:

Two days ago, after several successive days of the tinnitus lowering in volume, I had complete remission. The stoppage in my tinnitus lasted for almost 24 hours. Nothing at all except for the occasional very very low volume, short-lived squeal. I can't explain how relieved I was that it felt like it was finally over.

Then, yesterday afternoon it slowly started ramping up again. I managed to get to sleep fine last night, and it was fairly low (~1.5/10), but I was awoken 90 minutes later by extreme levels. I was up for a while, then managed to get to sleep again for another 5 hours. Today it feels like I'm back to where it was a week ago, with oscillations added in.

This all seems to be related to the condition of my right ear which has been "sticky" since my ear infection, and sensitive to sounds, and having some spasms lately. The tinnitus stopped almost suddenly after application of the corticosteroid I've been taking (Avamys) and several Valsalva maneuvers. I didn't touch or pop the ear after that. I do have a mild cold developing, with a sore throat and a small bit of congestion. Perhaps this is irritating the ear and nerves again, bringing the tinnitus back???

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is a very good sign that you had experienced silence. What matters is the long run monthly trend, and not the daily fluctuations.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I hope. The bad day was followed by a good night, with the T being low, and today it is just barely audible in a quiet room - just a bit of high-pitched squeal/hissing.
      Overall, over the last three weeks, it has definitely improved week to week. Just hard to not be impatient and want it entirely gone NOW. Tomorrow marks 5 full weeks.

• Like Like x 1