Is This Pulsatile Tinnitus or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by shasta0863, Oct 31, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      So I've had mild T since I was 18 (26 now) which got worse 5 months ago in June...badly from a loud noise exposure due to a wood saw outside my window; though I'm not sure (maybe in denial is a better word) as the T didn't increase until 5 days later (which makes no sense to me).

Anyways, before this occurred and I haven't thought much about it, I awoke in April 14 of 2015 to this vibrating type of sound (vroom, vroom, vroom) and I thought it was far away but I quickly realized it wasn't. I've never experienced something like this before and only had regular T. The next morning I awoke to it and it subsided after about 10min. I also started having pain, fullness, pressure and low vibration sounds like fridge hum and subwoofer were penetrating my right ear and sounded a lot louder and triggering the vibrating type symptom at times.

After about 2 and half weeks the pain, fullness, ect. wen't away but the vibrating has stayed until this day. Not as frequent but if I take a shower or go out in car and come back and its quiet I can hear/feel this vibrating. Sometimes it matches my heart rate if its elevated but not always. I also have a general mild soreness that lingers in right ear sometimes if its noisy or after the vibration/spasm occurs so what ever happened in april is still lingering. I also experience some clicking sometimes (rarely) though I can't remember if that was back during april or after T increase in early june (thought I believe it was after june).

I'm starting to wonder if this is PT or something else, and if there is any relevance to my T increase that happened about 2 months after this issue but maybe it was just back luck.

The ENT was useless and said the hair on my eardrum probably caused it (surprise it didn't go away when he removed it) and he didn't think it was Stapedius Mycolonus which is what I thought it might be. I'm really at a loss and hopefully you guys can give me some insight.

Thank you.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @shasta0863 ,

I'm sorry you're having the increased tinnitus, and the vibrating as well. It's not uncommon to have the feeling of fullness with increased tinnitus, or the aching inside the ear. I've had both, and for me (five years later) the feeling of fullness is totally gone now. I still have a slight ache inside my ear (right ear only) when I use an earplug, but that's the only time I notice it.

Is your vibration true pulsatile tinnitus, or something else? Well, my pulsating is steady, constant, and always in time with my pulse. In my case, it sounds like a constant drumbeat in the background. I think you're right, in spite of what your doctor says. It sounds more like stapedial myoclonus to me. You could try going to another doctor for a second opinion, but this time, you might consider going to another type of doctor rather than an ENT. Maybe a neurologist or neurotologist.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions as to what your symptoms might be, but myoclonus more closely matches your symptoms, in my opinion.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Thanks for your thoughts. Problem is, the pain and fullness occurred before my T increase, in April. It occurred right after I got this random vibration sound. Those symptoms only lasted a few weeks but it definitely was triggered by what ever the vibrating sound that occurred on April 14th. I've had T for 8 years prior to all of this and always same, no spikes always same thing. So I can't possibly understand how I could randomly one night wake up on the couch and have Pulsatile Tinnitus or stapedial myoclonus.

My T increased from I guess noise almost 2 months after so I wonder if this ear issue previously put my ears in a bad state. I've always assumed T comes directly from the incident, and not 5 days later at night after an incident, so I'm still confused and feel that it somehow is connected with this issue from April.

Although it can be in sync with my heart beat at times, like when its really elevated, it isn't 90% of the time. It has it's own time sync. I can't even describe it, it's like an odd vibration/spasm type of sound. Like a low volume fog horn(kind of) that pulses. I can physically feel it occurring.

I'm stunned something like this can just pop out of nowhere. I feel as if my ears continue to deteriorate (add on hyperacusis, TTTS and reactive T). It's been over 5 months from the initial T increase and I actually thought the T was a bit lower a month ago compared to now. I feel like it's steadily getting worse and this vibration/pulse crap going on over 6 months doesn't help.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do think there can be a delayed reaction to noise, or another factor, that made your T get worse. I know it seems weird that it took five days, but I do think it is possible. As for the vibration, it sounds more like reactive T or a spasm.

Mine feels like it's vibrating as I write this, but it is a very regular vibration, accompanied by loud tinnitus. Since yours is more sporadic, it still sounds to me like a spasm of some sort. I hope that in time, yours will begin to settle down.

Are you going to try to see another doctor for a second opinion?

5. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Thanks Karen. Yeah I think maybe the neurologist or neurotologist route might be best. The ENT I went to was supposedly some great doctor with inner ear disease knowledge and all that, yet the experience was awful. I was hoping it would go away in time, but 6 months gives me the permanent feeling with out intervention. Maybe I will have luck with another type of doctor.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would like to hear the outcome of your appointment. Please keep me posted on how you're doing. I hope you get some answers from another doctor.

I've had a similar experience with an ENT. They often don't have the training, or the time, to deal with patients like us, who have conditions that are not typical.

7. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Karen ,been off TT for few months ,just got back on ,see what's happening ,good to see your now on Staff ,will look in see what happening to all old names ,if still around ,hope I see all good .xx

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Marlene,

Welcome back! I hope you are doing well today.

9. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi again ,same old T going ,Bain of my life ,plus the MDDS going at same time ,no let up ,going into year 5 with that now .Must catch up on all that's been happening ,see few old names .
      Hope Markku and Steve okay .Will look in more ,have read up on back threads
      Hug Karen xx

• Hug Hug x 1