Is This Tensor Tympani?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul10, May 9, 2017.

1. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Sorry for this being not a very productive thread, but I was wanting to get a little bit of info.

I have what can only be described as an echo sound in my ear (on top of the T), it comes mostly when I can feel almost a fluttering in my ears, as if little puffs of air are being slightly pushed against the back of my eardrum.

The sound is ultrrra-low, and the feelings within my ear are like little zaps, flutters.

Does this sound like TTS? I feel like an isolated case; knowing others are in the same boat is always motivational.

Thanks all!

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think so.

I hear a "whoosh" sound every time I say something and pause. I believe I have TTTS.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Bill Bauer Thanks Bill! Interesting. I just never thought a "noise" could be related to TTTS. I can definitely relate to voice-sensitivity. Do you have any other T sounds?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      According to my ENT, "noise" refers to noise exposure over a long period of time, whereas "acoustic trauma" refers to a one-time exposure to a loud noise. It is my understanding that TTTS is caused by acoustic trauma. I don't hear that "whoosh" sound all of the time. I guess I hear it mostly in the morning. I think this is still consistent with TTTS.

I don't think of the "whoosh" sound as my T sound. My T sound is separate - a somewhat piercing hiss or a high-pitch tone. That I hear all of the time, although some days are quieter than other days. I believe there is a good chance TTTS could resolve on its own, although I could never find reliable studies about it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Oh, I see I misinterpreted your statement above.

Well, it is the sound of that tympani muscle having a spasm...

6. Abbadem

Abbadem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD or Stress
      I've had little spasms as well (mostly the left ear) that I can almost describe as the eardrum fluttering. I don't think I've noticed any new sound with it but then again my T is almost entirely reactive.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I think I have tensor tympani syndrome......have had it almost as long as having tinnitus, not all the time, but very often. Really hoping it will go away eventually.