Is Tinnitus Caused by Hair Cell, Nerve or Brain Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by martin12, Aug 27, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Some many mixed opinions. Is the main cause damage to the outer and inner hair cells? Auditory Nerve? Or damage to neurons in the Brain?

2. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I would say it can start from any one of those. Many different etiologies of t. The auditory nerve also runs from the inner ear (hair cells) right to the central auditory cortex of the brain.
    3. Mark McDill

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Papillion, NE
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Not to be a smart-alec or disrespectful; but the answer is likely 'yes'. I would assert that T is a malfunction or dysfunction of the auditory system; a system that is highly complex involving so many major components (e-tubes, outer-ear, inner-ear, cochlea, auditory nerve, neurological centers, limbic system, thalamus and then on to final perception -- however that really happens). And within each of those components are even more complexities wherein things can go wrong (at the molecular level). I think of it along the lines of a three-legged chair such that if one leg is 'wrong' or missing then the chair doesn't really work; except in this case it seems like a hundred-legged chair. It stands to reason that anything malfunctioning within any of these areas would result in anomalous sounds.

I'm pretty sure this is why they haven't really been able to come up with a workable definition of T (other than to say it's a ringing in your ears that no one else can hear). What, precisely, is happening? What are the core causes? If only I knew...sorry.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks. For your input. I think one of main reasons no help to date has arrived is incredibly limited funding. We donate 2.3B annually for T disability for veterans yet can't even allocate 1% of that for scientific research to help cure the problem?

I find that horrible economics!
      • Agree Agree x 4
    5. jiri2

jiri2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thats because those are work-related injuries done in a situation that is too political to ignore. I didn't get my H from work so mine doesn't count. Also its passed off as 22% hearing loss and 1% anxiety (on a scale where 66% would give you some pitiful welfare) of which it is neither, so the issue is also one of lack of incentive, in the spanish social security system (a ponzi designed for sexless alzheimer patients)

Its also quite telling there are two camps, the TRT vs the laser treatment guys, and one of the two at least, if not both, is systematically lying. Really getting H or T pretty much puts one in a sort of misanthropic blend or modernist binge, unsurprisingly and with reason, while one sees one's capacity to reason dwindle viciously in a sea of pain.
    6. Christian78

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I agree and also I think many veterans can simply lie and say they have tinnitus and get retired with 30 y of age. No one can prove they really have tinnitus.

And well If auris cure tinnitus in start now, rest of us will just have to die with tinnitus...
    7. canyonero

canyonero Member

Eastern US
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      It can be any combination of the factors.