Is Tinnitus Loudness Related to Food?

Discussion in 'Support' started by i.m, May 31, 2016.

1. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      Last week has been the "Pizza all day" week. To make a long story short, from Tuesday to Sunday I ate lots of pizzas, but Sunday morning I found out my T has *maybe* worsen... despite its frequency is still the same.

I am only eating vegetables, fruits and yogurt and drinking lots of water from yesterday. In your opinion, is this an anxious reaction, a spike or something else?

2. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      nobody knows

3. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Mine is definitely related to food.

Cooked, concentrated tomato paste on pizza is extremely high in salicylates.

Salicylates are injected into laboratory animals to induce tinnitus. It is a fact that aspirin can cause tinnitus. Aspirin is almost pure salicylate.

One pizza may have no effect but more could cause an increase in volume.

It depends on the person's existing salicylate levels.

The spike can even happen 3 days later.

• Like Like x 1
    4. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I have to say that eating LESS has defiantly lowered my T.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      Your T or your T loudness?

What does that "LESS" means? Less pizza or less food?

Thank you both, however :)

6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
    7. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Possibly both.
      I wish I had the answers for you - and for me - but T's relationship with food is complex.
      Also, salicylates are higher in many 'good for you' foods, so there is a natural reluctance to reduce them.
      Berries, with all their wonderful antioxidants, are tremendously high in sals. I first noticed my T get louder when I'd eaten some jam (not something I usually eat). I began thinking that it was the 'citric acid' that seemed to be in everything that made my T louder but after a couple of years of tracking everything I consumed, I realised that it was probably the berries in the jam. Honey is also very, very high, as is fresh spinach and tea (which I used to drink). My T is also affected by synthetic vitamins, which the UK government, in their infinite wisdom, has decreed should be added to all white flour. You can imagine how difficult it is to avoid!

1. Its very existence may have been caused by a high salicylate level. I don't know.

All the foods I ate before getting T, sweet potatoes, lemons, red onions, new potatoes, manuka honey, loads of fruit, fresh spinach, watercress etc. may well have contributed to the onset of my T.

2. Yes, they definitely make my T louder - sometimes for three days in a row.

My T disappears completely. But if I eat high sals food - it doesn't. Normally, when it's there, it's pretty low volume T, but when I eat foods high in sals it screams & shrieks and darts electrically across my head. The effect isn't necessarily immediate - it can be the next day.

A low salicylate diet consists mainly of cabbage, swede, leeks, iceburg lettuce, brussel sprouts, meat, fish, old potatoes thickly peeled, golden delicious apples (in moderation) & peeled pears. Peas are ok but any kind of mint is a no, no.

The above is fine for salicylate sensitive people without tinnitus but, as we all know, salt makes T LOUD. I find that fish is too salty. As most herbs and seasonings are high in sals, constructing a low sal diet for someone with tinnitus means making food that is incredibly bland.

There are many people on this forum who know more than me about this. I think you can probably eat lentils & some other grains etc. but you'd need to investigate.

This is a good site if you want to read more...

http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/salicylates

Hope this helps.

Click