It's Been 8 Years (My Tinnitus Started When I Was 8 Years Old)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Alexandra Lehman, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blew my nose and ears popped and started ringing
      I've had tinnitus since I was 8, and I am now 16. It all started one night when I blew my nose and my ears popped, and then started ringing. I've now been able to make my ears pound on command...? It's like the sensation when you're putting in eye drops and your ears...pound. ._. I LOVE music and listening to it loudly with headphones/earbuds so I can hear all elements of the songs and appreciate them in their entirety.

It was bearable but annoying at first: I could only hear it when there was no external noise around me. Now, since August 2016, the ringing in my left ear has gotten louder, and both ears started leaking fluid. I saw a chiropractor about a year and a half later, and still nothing... I'm going to a consultation for acupuncture tomorrow, and hopefully something good will come from that. My mom also just recently bought me these pills to help reduce the ringing, too, but I honestly doubt that anything will possibly work anymore... I've lost hope. I recently got a cold and that usually messes up my ears, and this time, the ringing in my left ear has gotten even LOUDER. It's become so bad that I have actually become suicidal. I stayed home from school today because the ringing made me so miserable yesterday that I just wanted to sleep instead. I'M GONNA HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, AND IT'S ONLY GONNA GET WORSE. I JUST...REALLY WANT THIS TO END AND BE ABLE TO EXPERIENCE SILENCE AGAIN. I'm just really hoping that when I get over this cold, the ringing will reduce in my left ear and become somewhat bearable-ish again... I really hate this, and don't have much to look forward to in life anymore because my life is already terrible enough (as you can tell, I'm a pessimist...). The only thing keeping me alive is my family, couple of friends, and my favorite music group, BTS. BTS has given me a reason to live.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Alexandra Lehman -- I'm sorry to hear what a difficult time you're going through, and at such a young age no less. I do hope that things will improve for you after your current cold-induced spike.

Just to mention--if you haven't read this forum very much--it's pretty much universally accepted that headphones or earbuds should be avoided, even when kept at low volumes. There's something about them that can easily make tinnitus worse, especially when the ears are going through a particularly vulnerable time. -- All the Best...

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, and I haven't been listening to music as much lately (sadly..).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Alexandra Lehman hi, i am also going trough a cold spike right now, i am verry sorry. Hopefully once the cold is gone the ringing will subside. Last time it took me a few weeks to notice improvements and nearly 2 months to be back to baseline.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow. Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Robinetc

Robinetc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/ Noise exposure
      Hey Alexandra!
      I'm a 20 year old from Malta and mine started the same as you, when I was 18 I had a really blocked nose and blew my nose to hard, my left ear popped and since, both have started popping and I've gotten tinnitus on top of it too! I know it's hard but hang in there, if you want to talk don't hesitate to ask for my Facebook so maybe we could help each other out with things we have both tried, seeing as our symptoms having started the same way.

Honestly you're the first person I have found whose symptoms started like mine.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out the tips on
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822
      Some of the information there might help you to avoid your tinnitus getting louder.

You might want to stop doing the above. @Michael Leigh will hopefully provide you with more arguments about this issue. Also see the thread below
      There is some hope that they will be able to find a cure soon

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      Stop listening to headphones loudly NOW. Like others have said, the cold spike should go away, but it will take some time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Alexandra Lehman

I understand that you want to hear all the elements in the songs when listening to your music. Music can be very moving and can provoke our emotions considerably. However, if you don't change your ways and "stop using headphones completely", you will not be able to enjoy music at all, because you will find the tinnitus, too loud and distressing. I have been an Audiophile for many years and used to listen to my music through high quality headphones, that eventually gave me tinnitus because I listened at too high a volume and didn't realize it.

I haven't used headphones in 23 years and no longer miss them. Since you like music and want to hear all the subtle nuances in the recordings that you have. Whether this is from: vinyl records, compact disc, or music files downloaded from the Internet etc - you need to purchase the best audio equipment that you can afford.

When one has a good quality HI-FI (Audio system) it will replay your recordings in such high quality you will be moved, as much or more than when listening through headphones. Audiophiles like myself call this Synergy The music will move you and evoke such emotion, you'll have goose bumps on your arms and the hairs on the back of your neck will be raised, I'm not kidding! The speakers will completely disappear and all you will hear is a wall of music. That is what a good Audio system can do for you.

To find out how good an HI-FI system can sound I suggest you book a dem (demonstration) at a HI-FI dealer and hear quality audio. The audio equipment is not enough. As you get more into it you'll realize. Speaker cables, Interconnect cables, mains cables and even the equipment rack that your Amplifier, CD player etc sits on affects the sound considerably. When you become a fully fledged Audiophile, or a discerning listener, then you will want to have your listening room acoustically treated, as the room affects the sound of the music a lot.

All the best
      Michael

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, everybody, for the very helpful information. :notworthy:

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah, yes. I've had problems with my Eustachian tubes since I born. A doctor recommended to my mom that I get tubes, but she didn't want to do the procedure because I was so young. And I am very happy that there is someone with a similar story. c:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I love music too, but loud music can damage hearing so listen at a normal volume and I don't recommend using headphones much if you have tinnitus.

that won't work, it doesn't ad up with the science of what causes tinnitus and how to treat it.
      medicine and it won't help you
      those pills are certainly scams, many scammers prey on tinnitus sufferers make sure your mom knows not buy more.

Tinnitus is a neurological condition caused by hearing loss, after hearing is lost sometimes the audiotory brain becomes hyperactive to compensate for less inner ear input.

BUT PLEASE PROTECT YOUR HEARING!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can you please give me some recommendations? Because I have no idea where to start...

14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Alexandra Lehman

I live in the UK so any audio equipment that I recommend may not be so easily available in the USA and vice versa. The first thing you must consider is how much you have got to spend on a HI-FI system? The comments in my post above I advise you to read again and read my post below.

You will get the best sound quality from vinyl records and all true Audiophiles know this. No digital playback source can match the warmth and musicality that a good analogue turntable has to offer and that is a fact! However, CDs and more commonly, music played on digital (network) streamer are the sources that a lot of people use today including some Audiophiles due to their ease of use.

I advise you to visit YouTube as there are plenty videos available on how to set up a HI-FI system for beginners. I also advise buying a good HI-FI magazine such as: What HI-FI. A UK mag but should be available in the US. Their address is: https://www.whathifi.com/ and has some useful information. Another good magazine is Stereophile. This is US mag caters for people interested in High-End Audio. If you want to see the best in audio equipment you'll find some useful information here: https://www.stereophile.com/

The path to Audio nirvana can be a complex one but extremely rewarding when you get it right, I promise you. Once you realize what a good HI-FI system can do and the way it can make you feel, you'll wonder why you ever listened to music through headphones! As I have said to you before, if you continue to use headphones even at low volume your tinnitus will most probably get worse.

When an Audio system is has synergy and is "singing" as we Audiophiles call it, the speakers will completely disappear. You will be at one with the music and nothing else will matter, because you'll have the feeling of being transported into another realm.

I wish you well.
      Michael

The post below I wrote on another thread.

If you are passionate about music having a decent HI-FI system is a must. Only then will you realize how wonderful and engaging music can sound. If you want to be thoroughly immersed in your music as you were when listening to it through headphones, then please read on.

Forget about solid-state amplifiers and buy Tube/valve amplification. An amplifier using 300b tubes/valves will surpass any solid state amplification for sheer musicality and enjoyment. These Amps can be expensive and replacing the 300b tubes/valves are too. If want the best then this is way to go. These amplifiers come in two designs: Push-Pull or Single-Ended. Both have their strengths and weakness. These are the amplifiers of choice for the discerning listener and true Audiophile.

Vinyl records (LPs) sound better than any digital format, whether it's CD, MP3 or WAV files. Digital cannot match the sound, warm and musicality of a good Analogue turntable playing LPs.

The modern world in which we live times have moved on considerably. Many people including some Audiophiles, listen to music on CD and more commonly WAV files recorded on a computer and played-back through a Digital to Analogue converter or Network Audio player/streamer.

There are many speakers out their so my advice is to book a dem (demonstration) at a good HI-FI dealer and hear a system using quality speakers. Please remember, spend more of your budget on your source components. Whether it's a Turntable, CD player or Network player. Then the amplification and lastly the speakers. The rule of thumb: Once information is lost at the source it can never be retrieved by the Amplifier and speakers. In-fact, having a less than adequate source: to retrieve the information from CDs etc; an expensive amplifier or speakers will reveal the limitations of the source!

Don't forget speaker cables, Interconnect cables and Mains cable. All can affect the sound of a HI-FI considerably. A dealer will be able to help here. The equipment rack or table which the HI-FI sits on can affect the sound too. Also the room's acoustics can affect the sound.

When your HI-FI is set-up right it will "sing" beautifully. Audiophiles call this Synergy or Audio Nirvana. Close your eyes and you'll feel like you've been transported into another realm. The speakers will completely disappear and you will feel goose bumps along your arms and the hairs on the back of your neck will be raised. The music in the room will appear to you in three dimensions. Having width, height and depth. A good HI-FI system will allow you to pick-out where the musicians are placed when the music was mixed and recorded.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh Thank you very much, I'll make sure to look into it. c:

• Like Like x 1
    16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ears "leaking fluid" is not a normal part of tinnitus.

Have you been evaluated by a normal medical doctor? You didn't mention it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandra Lehman
      Bored

Alexandra Lehman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I have.