It's Time to Get More Coverage of Tinnitus on YouTube

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by AVIYT, Apr 23, 2019.

1. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Here's my latest video:

Unfortunately, I don't get a lot of views as I rarely post now in contrast to my uploads of last year. Tinnitus directly affects how many uploads I can make, but I'm trying to get past that.

I know deep down that if I want a cure for this, I'll have to make my role with tinnitus grow in importance. I'll need to assist in one way or another. The American Tinnitus Association is proud of raising $6M since the 70s? An auction from my town raised more for a few vehicles (although let's admit it, the new Aston Martin looks stunning).

The way I see it is this... all it takes to cure tinnitus is to get a few billionaires involved. I'm confident at least a few already have tinnitus or are impacted by it by having family members or loved ones with it. I don't wish for anyone to get tinnitus, I just wish for those who already are affected by it to do more. One billionaire donating 1% of their annual income will do more than this entire community donating $100.

The journey to get a few billionaires involved though? Well it will require hundreds of videos on YouTube with millions of views each. Right now we're lacking in that department HARD. I've sent out an email to a channel with 2M+ subs that does interviews with people, and if he doesn't respond then I will try to get interviews elsewhere. Podcasts, YouTube channels, news outlets... Anything to get the word out. And in the meanwhile I'll post more videos on my channel, albeit small, in hopes of them reaching tens of thousands.

I HATE tinnitus with a passion. I truly believe it has ruined my life, and I can either lie down and wait for death or try and improve my life. I've tried a lot of things over the past 4 months, and it seems my tinnitus has only gotten worse with spikes. The only thing that helps is time with my supportive girlfriend :)

Anyways, in the future, if I'm able to I'll be donating to a foundation (after further research to find out who's the furthest along). I'll try and encourage others to go along. But I think a better way of raising money will be accepting sponsorship fees and asking companies to DOUBLE the amount and donate 100% to a charity of my choosing. That's the strategy Mr. Beast uses to get companies to pay more and to raise more attention, smart marketing move.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I've contacted YouTubers, big big names and Twitter people, in order to help and spread the awareness of tinnitus. But it's hard to pull someone in if you're not big as well - or have a name as well. I hope your try garners more success though. I really think social media is where we can get the most benefit and outreach for now.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thanks for the video @AVIYT.

A thought that came to my mind can we have a forum here on Tinnitus Talk with only submitted videos?

@Jazzer's video was excellent and so was @Samantha R's video both for Tinnitus Awareness week last year.

It is a bit hard to find them in different forums or threads but if there was a dedicated forum here it would make it easier.

@AVIYT are you familiar with Matteo de Nora? He donated 20 million which in turn created the organization TRI.

Maybe you could send the above mentioned YouTube videos also?

4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Question. Are some people just interested in getting more hits (or whatever) on their YouTube channel? Is that why this is a one hit posting here from the original author?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      That's my take on it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about tinnitus, I have watched a lot of them.

EDIT: Just clicked on the vid, can't be played, the account has been terminated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hum... wonder why? Same thing happened when I clicked on the video today.

7. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      YouTube terminated his channel and he was very upset about it. He tried to get it back, but YouTube won't allow him to because of its unfair community guidelines. I doubt he was just trying to get a hit or more subs; he has a decent amount of followers on Twitter and he has been talking nonstop about tinnitus on it as far as I can tell.

8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thanks @GSC. I am unfamiliar with the YouTube policies.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Sounds like someone may have complained...

10. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      It's really sad, because he had big plans and had 85k subscribers. I really think he could've been one of the few who could've got the word out about tinnitus. :(

11. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I've watched quite a few talk about Tinnitus, Dr. Allan Mandel, Austin Goh, Joy Remini, list goes on and on. He is not unique... Wonder what he did though, to bring down the hammer.

12. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Hmm... I don't know if he did anything, YouTube has just been terminating a lot of channels lately. It's been a thing these past two years.

• Like Like x 1
    13. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      That's BS. YouTube doesn't want to terminate popular channels, they bring money to Google (Google owns YouTube).

OP most likely did something truly bad that was against YouTube's ToS. YouTube gives multiple warnings before permanent ban.

14. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Nah, it ain't BS. You're wrong. This isn't the first time it has happened. A lot of YouTubers have gotten permanent bans with no community strikes, nor warnings.

15. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      cancel-all-my-meetings-someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong.png

16. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      Yeah youtube’s algorithm is actually really bad.

18. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So what was the video about?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      My channel has been terminated with 13.1M+ total views and nearly 89,000 subscribers. Alongside that I lost 2 more channels that had 0 content that was against the terms of service, for it was cryptocurrency content. Altogether I lost over 110K subscribers. I had a few videos terminated last year, but then after appealing they admitted it was a "mistake" and put the content back up alongside my channel.

YouTube has suspended many large channels, and many, many small channels forever. Some are just unfortunate mistakes due to their growing worries to keep advertisers pleased. If you want to make a lot of money on YouTube and are only concerned with that, views and fame then start either a kids channel or something kid-friendly. Don't swear, don't voice any political opinions (many political channels, some with even 2-3M+ subscribers have fallen or are close to falling due to 2 strikes on their channel), don't discuss anything controversial (even if it's in the news) and just stay focused on keeping advertisers happy. That's the key to success.

I made a mistake by being honest with my life story and have reported on controversial topics that some thought were illegal, but information is not a matter of legality (at least the info that I provided, I'm not talking about grave things like someone revealing military secrets where that OBVIOUSLY is illegal). I pissed off many people with my content. The last videos I made were about my mistakes with Pregabalin and hearing loss / tinnitus. I mean it's funny how even Pfizer banned the Facebook group with Pregabalin from public view. But I'm not into conspiracies. So the reason for my ban was that I posted too much content that wasn't advertiser friendly, and in light of a recent purge (happens every year once YouTube is in the news for something bad, so they have to ban a bunch of channels) it was an easy target.

There is hope of recovery. Not anytime soon, but one day in the future. I'm in contact with larger channels who have been suspended before and also reinstated. But they too say the help support staff will NOT help, rather some friends on the inside or employees who will actually take a look instead of just quickly denying appeals or sending it to a bot.

And if not, I'll voice my concerns somewhere else. On a different platform. It just sucks that I lost out on income. Advertising wasn't much, it was only $600 per month... but last year I had months where I could make $10K+ just from a 15K subscriber channel with external advertising and sponsorship opportunities. So YouTube definitely gave me a VERY depressing kick in the rear. It was my primary source of income. But I can't give up.

And what I meant in response to a comment on here, is that there aren't many large YouTube channels discussing tinnitus. You CAN find content on tinnitus, but try and do a count of how many news channels or vlog channels over 1M subs discuss tinnitus. If there was millions of more views on the videos, or hundreds of more videos from larger channels... we could see some more movement with donations. If I was concerned with hits I would be posting more on Reddit. But I stopped caring about views long ago... I had an incident where I was okay with essentially selling myself out for views. It didn't turn out well for my mental health. It made me realize there was more important things than money and fame. Health.

Don't underestimate the power of a YouTube channel. Nowadays we have 2 channels that are nearly at 100M subscribers and there's hundreds of channels with billions of views. There's even a 5-year-old YouTuber making over $2M per month just from YouTube ads, not including sponsorships. Some YouTube channels are more powerful than corporations or the Super Bowl. Times have changed over the past 2 decades.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Thankfully, my YouTube channels are back. I lost 2 in the aftermath of the main one being banned.

I had appealed... TWICE. Got rejected. I wrote desperate pleas everywhere. Twitter, email, other YouTubers, Google employees, Reddit posts, etc.

And finally I got it back. But the fight wasn't over. I still could get it banned with other channels banned...

So I went around and continued contacting support left and right. My normal contact options were disabled. I got one channel back after an appeal. My other channel WAS REJECTED as well, even though I told them it makes 0 sense considering it had 0 content against the ToS. It was crypto related.

That's YouTube for you. So in a week I lost 110K+ subs and gained them back. I did lose revenue and potential views/subs in that week, but I'm glad to have it back.

Time to post more tinnitus content.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      How about working with us on an awareness video or interview or something? (y)

I can send you a message here...

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Yes, sounds good! I'll be waiting for your message. Let's discuss in detail.

• Like Like x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      YouTube is a wasteland.

Get PewDiePie on board.