Jaw Question

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paromita, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Hello,

Posting here as I know lots of people who have T have gotten it from jaw.

I have a problem, there seems to be something going on with my jaw joint....is there a way to see the muscles and nerves around your jaw joint ? I have done two panoramic xrays and all it does is show the bones. I have a gnawing feeling there is something going on with the nerves/muscles in that area but not able to figure out.
      Do I have to go for a jaw MRI or soemthing ?

Any of you had any experience with this ? My maxo facial surgeon says since I can open my mouth 39cm, everythings fine with my jaw....but I am not convinced. I can feel burning pain in my left jaw and my bite feels off. He is just interested in pulling out my tooth.

I want to know whats going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Mita

2. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      CT scans can image muscles and blood vessels. I had a neck CT two weeks ago that showed an obviously uneven pair of mylohyoid muscles in my jaw (support muscle that helps build the bottom of your mouth and attaches firmly to the jaw). Talk to your doctor

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, I have a feeling there is something going on with my joints, but I cannot see it and get it corrected. Thanks for your help. I am going to meet another TMJ person next week and will push for either an MRI or a C T scan of my jaw. Can a CT scan show a herniated disk on the jaw ?

4. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      read http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4147437/ for all your jaw imaging needs
      I think so yes, but ask your doctor because I'm not sure

5. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I had an MRI of my TMJ. It showed the disk being crushed between my condyle and skull.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Earshurt, thank you for telling me...can you please tell me
      (1) How is the procedure done...I had a brain MRI recently, is it the same ?
      (2) Does it take the same time ?
      (3) Is your T from that disk being crushed ? Are doctors doing anything to correct it ? What have you been recommended...will your T go away ?

(4) What were your symptoms please ?

Thank you Mita

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it is the same but they do an MRI with mouth closed and mouth open. They get you to bite down on a cylinder during MRI. It was difficult for me to do.

I think it was a little bit shorter in duration compared to brain MRI.

Doctors can't confirm it is from tmj. I don't think any doctor can be certain of that, but I'm being treated with a splint and cold laser. I also started CBT because the T is getting to me. In addition, I had a sleep study done and they confirmed I'm clenching my jaw at night. So some how I need to stop that but not sure how. Suggestions welcome from anyone reading this?

My T started slowly over time and got worse. Doctor did say that is a good sign it's from tmj because he said noise damage typically starts suddenly. Also, mine is constant and high pitched. I have a lot of pain in my ear and in front of my ear. I also have muscle movement in my ear which feels like insect crawling in my ear at times. I have headaches daily.

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Like Vaba said a CT scan can show more. MRI too but may not be necessary.

I have jaw issues (not related to my tinnitus) and was even considering getting major jaw surgery for a couple years. Consulted with some top surgeons in the US. All that has been put aside with my tinnitus, I'm afraid of double jaw surgery making my tinnitus worse, sigh.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Earshurt,

Thank you for answering my question....appreciate it. I have been suffering from last two months with all these wierd symptoms on my face

- strange tightness in my jaws near my left ear
      - burning sensation in my left upper inner mouth and tongue
      - tingling and numbness on my nose, specially if I touch my hard palate
      - screeching tinnitus in my left ear
      - left side of my face (cheekbones,jaws) puffed up slightly and pains
      - slight pain in my left temple and right temple
      - sensitivity to light in my left eye
      - headaches and aches on my forehead and back of my head
      - neck and shoulder pain that is getting aggravated by the day.

I dont know when this is going to end for me :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It sounds like tmj issues too. I have a twitch in my left eye at times. I also have neck and shoulder pains. My headaches are on top on my head and front on head along with temple pains. The tinnitus was only in right ear at right but slowly the left ear joined the party. I get a tingling feeling on my jaw along my mouth. Plus, I have a lot of crackling in my ears when moving my jaw. It's not fun. I used to have pressure in ears but that subsided since treatment started.

It definitely at nightmare. I pray daily for this to end one way or another. It's not fun when you are mad you wake up in the morning to endure another day.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Ears hurt,

Thank you....the trouble I am facing is I do not know what to do. Who is treating you ? Dentist ?
      Nobody believes me....and my maxofacial surgeon says do not have TMJ. :( Where should I go. To make matters worse I Am on anti anxeities now....and its not helping much as you can make out. Anyways, I am trying to meet another dentist next week, hoping he would help.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long did you have the stint ? Are you seeing any improvement in your T ?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Alue, I Am haivng a feeling that something has gone wrong wit my joint and soft tissues....that why thinking if I should go for an MRI.

14. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Paromita im seeing a maxillofacial surgeon that specializes in tmj. He sees a lot of tmj patients. I was referred to him at Johns Hopkins. This is my 3rd one I'm seeing. The first one left the practice on me after 3 treatments, and the second one made me worse. She had me drugged up so bad for a year. It was hard getting off the anxiety meds, but I think I feel better off them. I was never one to take medicine. Never did even for a headache, but I seriously think I couldn't have lasted without them. It got me over the initial panicking. You should get another opinion. The 3rd one ordered the MRI for me to find out what is going on. None of the other doctors did.

I ve been with the new doctor since March of this year. So far, no improvement in the tinnitus, but there are changes in tone at times. I never had that before, but it's always constant sound. In addition, I do have less pressure in my ears.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Ears hurt,

Thanks for the info, I did have a feeling my surgeon is not paying attention to whats happenign to me as well...

Do you mind sharing the name of the doctor you are going to....I would like to get in touch and see if there is any hope for me. Where are you located again ? Not sure if I am near to you but will travel if needed be or see if he/she can recommend anybosy in Columbus...?

Thanks, Mita

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Ears Hurt,

What kind of anxeity meds were you taking ? I am taking Busriprone 5mg twice per day...doc told me to take 15, but I take only 10 as I hate meds. Thanks, Mita

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also, so as I understand correctly...the first two splints given by the first two maxofacial surgeons did not work for you ? Right ? And the second one have you lots of anti anxeity drugs ?

18. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Correct. No improvement in the first 2 doctors but a little with the 3rd. Yes, the second one had me on way too many meds