Jobs from Home When You Are Recovering from Severe Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Layla23, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I am on a treatment plan to recover from my severe tinnitus and hyperacusis but right now working outside of my home is just not an option.

Does anyone have any jobs they’d recommend working from home?

I have a college degree.

I’m trying to teach myself how to code but this comes with a whole set of problems since I don’t know how willing employers would be to hire someone who taught themselves to code.

I’m 23.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    2. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      Please do it! I am a self taught programmer and don’t feel inferior to my colleagues that studied computer science.

You are very young and won’t have trouble finding a job as a junior programmer. After that it’s only up to you to progress.

While I am coding at work and I am very immersed in what I am doing I forget about tinnitus, so I think it is a good option for you.

Good luck

• Like Like x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Many parents are medical researchers and they go from site to site at first but eventually they do their jobs from home. My dad can do his job anywhere in the world, there are no restrictions at all. He has a PhD though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      You don't necessarily have to work for a company full time to be a programmer. You can always create your own apps and release them yourself in marketplaces like the Windows Store, Google Play store and the App Store. There are also several programing freelance job sites where you can pick up jobs there. I myself am following this path as one option, as well as other simultaneously, and becoming an iOS developer.

Other possibilities to consider are:
      Opening a store on eBay
      becoming a Amazon Market place seller
      starting a youtube channel
      product photography as companies will mail you products to shoot

And coding can go into several areas like web (front end or back end) or apps. And it depends on what platform you want to develop for. Phones and tablet or desktops? Then what language like Android (java)? iOS (swift)?

Two sites I like for learning code as they both provide closed captioning are:

https://www.raywenderlich.com/
      https://teamtreehouse.com

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      Sorry for the unrelated question, but what is the treatment plan?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      @another sean ahhhh thank you. That’s super helpful.

I was thinking of learning python but now I don’t know. Maybe go for something simpler first.

• Like Like x 1
    7. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      Have you looked into data analytics? It's a crossover between programming and statistics. A few people from my cohort chose this path and work from home while enjoying a very high quality of life (I.e. high pay and low stress)

• Like Like x 2
    8. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What medical research jobs can be done from home - is it OK to ask what your father's research background is?

9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I'm sorry, I don;t mean they are medical researchers (I typed that on my way out the door), i meant they were clinical trial research coordinators for cancer. The had to travel for their job the first 5 years (once i think every month)...they mostly worked from home but had to go to the hospital once a week to check the results of their trials and then after 10 years they became the clinical directors in the cancer department. They never had to go in again and only worked from home...my parents really push every one of their friend's kids to get into that field because it is in high demand with very little supply.

My dad directed a hospital down in LA and they had to import indian and chinese graduates overseas just to fill the gaps, most of these people couldn't even speak english so we had to pay them to take college courses. It was pretty crazy.

I went the finance route, but kinda wish i wouldve been that thing my parents wanted...my life would be so relaxed lol

10. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Very interesting thanks. Might be different in the part of the UK I'm in which has a huge number of science grads like me but will look into.

11. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Judging by the speed of progress it seems that tinnitus research has been done from home;)