Joey Jordison, Severe Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Support' started by JohnnyMx, Oct 13, 2016.

1. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Joey Jordison, Slipknot's guitarist, announced in 2011 that he left the scenario because of very severe tinnitus and ear pain. But he still used to perform until 2013, when he leaved the band because other health problems.

He still used to perform very loud, without proper protection (bad bad). He didnt used to complain about his condition.

PS: Im not slipknot fan, i just found this info on the internet.

Video of the performance where he thrown his guitar becase of the ear pain and tinnitus:

Murderdolls-twist my sister.

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      He is still performing in a couple of smaller bands, no idea how he does it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      dam man....wish he would have brought more attention to it...was a fan of his and never knew he had it....

4. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Yeah the band members will protect there own hearing but they don't give a damn about the crowd.

5. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      its crazy right lol im a drummer and i honestly never knew a thing about T until i got it...alll these people i looked up to and not one ever brought light to it....wish they did...this was bak in 2011....i could have saved myself then

6. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Pretty much the same as you man. November is a busy time of year for hard rock/metal tours coming to London and I regularly visit forums where tours are discussed and people literally have no idea about wearing ear plugs/tinnitus when its bought up, it is quite a surprise to them. Just goes to show eh..

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Talking about awareness has anyone seen this advert yet? Only applies to people in the UK.

AOHL UK - New Tinnitus TV Commercial - 2016

8. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I've seen it but only on youtube not on any channel over here. Having said that i mainly watch stuff on Netflix/Amazon/Now Tv so rarely see adverts nowadays.

9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Same as me, I only stream stuff now. That ad is currently running on mainstream TV over here but it seems it's more of a daytime tv thing. My mom originally told me about it months ago, and then I caught it on live tv whilst visiting my parents. I found it strange seeing tinnitus actually mentioned on TV and being acknowledged.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      although these ads are a month too late for me i am glad they finally are trying to bring awareness.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Well I think its a good thing. I see a lot of headphone abuse on my way to work, if only these people knew about what they be in for .. I do wonder if it is on the rise generally though.

12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sam Bridge

the amount of people i see on the subway with headphones is crazy...its terrible...would love to just speak out but they would probably all think im crazy.

13. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Do it. I do all the time. I fail to see how keeping this knowledge to ourselves helps anyone. If they fail to take onboard what's been said then so be it, at least they can't say they wasn't warned if they finally get T.

I will point out that I don't just harass random strangers, but I do inform people if the situation warrants it.

I was at an international rugby game last Saturday with a group of guys I've never met. I literally only knew the one person who invited me who is a student and now friend of mine. Needless to say things got a bit loud so I put earplugs in. I know some would be too embarrassed to do this but I literally turned it into a bit of awareness. I informed these guys that I had tinnitus (explained what it was) from loud noise, so now I use earplugs. No weirdness cos I put it out in the open. Literally no one is bothered about the use of ear plugs, to me from what I've seen it's a non issue. People generally don't take the piss but an important piece of awareness is nevertheless passed on. Maybe one of them might think twice at the next concert they go to.

14. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Poor guy :-( it must be a terrible moment for him. I can feel his despair turned into anger. Even such huge cheering crowd who loves you is not worth.

I know I will be inconvenient, but can't help myself... what if it is ok like this. There is so much noise around us nowadays... more than human can withstand. Those who are predisposed to have tinnitus will become extinct. The others are future for mankind.

15. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Yeah just the ones who get tinnitus, nevermind the other hundreds of illnesses lolol.

16. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Well, illness can be caused by viruses or bacteria which has it's own evolution. It can't be never beaten, but at least medicine can achieve draw.
      But tinnitus is a symptom, not illness.

• Agree Agree x 1