Joined Today, I'm Miserable, Otosclerosis, Doctor Recommended Stapedectomy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lee!Anne, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Lee!Anne

Lee!Anne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have Tinnitus, hearing loss in my right ear caused by Otosclerosis. Dr recommended stapedectomy. The surgery may help with tinnitus but no guarantee. I am somewhat afraid of the surgery and potential complications. The tinnitus has become so severe it is affecting my daily life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Lee!Anne welcome! You've certainly come to the right place for support and strength. There's lots of knowledge here. Keep strong xx

• Like Like x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Have you tried hearing aids to see if they will help your hearing loss and also reduce T. Also have you tried masking your T if it gets way too intrusive? The worst case scenario is to get the doctor to prescribe some calming meds such as benzos to help calm the hyper neurons to hopefully reduce T. This is a temporary solution until you are back on your feet and you can fade it out under the supervision of your doctor. Or alternatively, you can try some natural alternatives, such as Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. You can do google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves. Take good care. God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi @Lee!Anne and welcome!
      I also have otosclerosis and the tinnitus associated with it is horrendous, so I am sympathetic!

I did go for surgery (stapedotomy) last year in april and regained a good chunk of hearing, but unfortunately I did not lose the T. However, my otosclerosis is particularly complicated (mixed losses with potential cochlear involvement, and unprecedented disease progression speed), so you may have a higher chance at success than me. It's roughly 50% chance of getting rid of T completely or significantly diminishing its severity (to the point that it doesn't bother anymore), so the odds are pretty good.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Welcome @Lee!Anne. I am sorry to hear that the severity of your tinnitus is negatively affecting your daily life. It can be difficult to live with, and the hearing loss (either caused by tinnitus itself, and/or in your particular case, otosclerosis) can be extremely frustrating. The good news is that we live in a wonderful age in the history of medical science. Fear is natural, and of course get a second (or third) opinion, but trust in your doctors. What is completely new to you they probably have done a dozen, or possibly dozens of times. Hopefully more people like @GregCA will read your post and share their successes and will help set your mind at ease.

If you have not already (I am guessing you have) try the search function looking for otosclerosis; you may be able to find the success stories of others who have not come across your post here.

I wish you success in your surgery; please let us know your decision and how it works out.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Lee!Anne : hello, I found this article today :

Degree of tinnitus improvement with stapes surgery – a systematic review

Abstract
      Introduction
      Otospongiosis is temporal bone osteodystrophy, characterized by disordered bone resorption and neoformation in genetically predisposed individuals. Clinically, otospongiosis is characterized by progressive conductive and/or mixed hearing loss and by tinnitus (40–90% – average of 75%).

Objective
      A systematic review of the last two decades of publications that report the degree of tinnitus improvement with stapes surgery.

Methods
      125 articles published in the last 20 years mentioning the relationship between otosclerosis and tinnitus. Literature has always shown that the hearing improvement after stapes surgery was the main result sought and found. However, recent articles has reinforced the need for surgery for the tinnitus improvement. The ideal time to assess tinnitus through different scales is in the sixth month post-operative. The estimated average hearing improvement is 93% and tinnitus is 85.52%.

Results
      Summaries of 12 articles were reviewed which fulfilled the search criteria of the survey, and 8 studies were included in the study according the selection criteria. This studies investigating the degree of tinnitus improvement with stapes surgery, using different scales as: Tinnitus Functional Index, Visual Analog Scale, Tinnitus Functional Index and Visual Analog Scale, Visual Analog Scale and “questionnaire asking about tinnitus”, Newman's method and Tinnitus Score Advocated by the Japan Audiological Society. The total of the samples of the evaluated articles was of 254 participants.

Conclusion
      We conclude that stapes surgery is quite effective for the treatment of tinnitus (average improvement is 85.52%), and hearing loss (average improvement is 93%). When deciding about the surgical indication in patients with otosclerosis, the presence and level tinnitus should be considered as well as the level of hearing.

source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1808869417302239

7. NadiaMayl
      Fine

NadiaMayl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Lee!Anne! I was first diagnosed with conductive hearing loss and Eustachian tube Dysfunction by my first ENT. He first offered hearing aids with a masker for T, but for me, it was not yet the right option, I needed to go to the cause of the problem, this led me to a different doctor, who was able to diagnose otosclerosis and suggest surgery. I was diagnosed with otosclerosis and conductive hearing loss by my ENT/Otologist! Surgery risks, were assessed. He also said, that last year he conducted a research study in which 90% of his patients with T, who’s undergone stampede to my reported T resolving after surgery, and 2 stragglers found their T was gone after 6 months. Of course, there is still a chance that T wouldn’t go away.
      I am 3 week’s post-stapedectomy and doing really well. My surgeon also performed a balloon dialation procedure in my Eustachian tubes to help with the Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.
      I went in with severe hearing loss and 3 constant tinnitus tones, loud and high pitch, and an additional Morse code, intermittent, annoying unmaskable one! Right after surgery, I could hear much better, and as the healing and swelling goes down, it keeps improving. As far as my T is concerned, I woke up to only one T tone, instead of 3-4! That already was an improvement!!!!!
      As the weeks have gone by, tones have fluctuated. At one point, my ear started echoing high pitch sounds and voices, that one freaked me out a bit, it was distortion music, making it sound off key on my operated ear. But that seems to have lasted a few days and it’s improving. An email to my otologist nd he said, it’s all normal fluctuations due to tender tissue healing and fluid behind the eardrum. My latest noises are, no longer in my ear, I can’t hear ri going, per se. Instead it’s migrated into a “whole head” type noise experience, a static, electric type sound all over. Not pleasant, but I’m hopeful that as long as sounds keep changing, I can still hope or expect the T to go away.
      As far as surgery, it was amazing how little discomfort I felt post-op. My dr. did put me fully under, so 24 hrs post, I was dazed and sleepy. I didn’t need the prescription pain meds and managed well on ibuprofen for three days. One day after surgery, I could move perfectly, just a little dizzy if I moved too quickly... I even baked cookies for Christmas. I did get a little more tired, due to anesthetic in my system and I did take care not to do any heavy lifting or hard work. I did get the metallic taste I was warned about, post surgery, but that is already much much less! The ear also still feels a little numb and full but totally manageable.
      As far as the balloon dialation, I ehad maybe three days throughout the three weeks where I’ve had the sticky, clogged feeling in my tubes, but that also seems to be less and less. Ompared to pre-surgery.
      So far, in my opinion, the surgery was worth it!! Even though my T is not -yet- resolved, I’m happy to have regained so much of my hearing.
      My suggestion to you, if you choose to do the procedure, make sure your surgeon has performed plenty of these procedures. I chose to find an otologist, not just an ENT, they have a bit more expertise on ear issues exclusively.
      Whatever you choose, good luck! Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Silly question but how is one diagnosed with these middle/inner ear structural issues? I’m looking to get whatever tests I can to start ruling things out.