Julian Cowan Hill's Success Stories

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Lisa88, May 10, 2016.

1. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      He makes reference to his noise induced tinnitus in a few of his videos. Now please don't make me wade through them all to find for you! hahah :D

Again, his words only.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I have watched his videos @Pleasure_Paulie but didn't see one where he referred to "noise induced tinnitus" I do believe you. He mentioned his tinnitus was caused by stress, tension etc. I have no doubt that a person's tinnitus can be eased and even cured if stress, anxiety are the main causes of it. Noise induced tinnitus is an entirely different matter and is the most common cause of the condition. Many people habituate to tinnitus within the first 6 to 18 months of onset with or without treatment.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      About Julian Cowan Hill
      Stress triggered tinnitus when I was 16. Graduating from St Andrews University I then lived all over the world, working as a language teacher in Venezuela, Japan, Hungary, Italy, France and Spain. By the time I was 34 my tinnitus became deafening and I couldn’t work any more.

This led me to try out Craniosacral therapy, which helped me relax and switch off for the first time in my life, and took me on a voyage of discovery into the body. My tinnitus started improving immediately and six months later, after 20 years of hell, I woke up in silence. This was a life-changing experience for me and I vowed that I would do my best to help others let go of their tinnitus too.

I trained as a Craniosacral therapist and since 2000 a sizeable part of my practice has been dedicated to helping people let go of their tinnitus.

Post-graduate courses at the Karuna institute in Devon put me in touch with Maura Sills who gave a talk at the Breath of Life Conference in London. She chanted the Buddhist Heart Sutra: Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhi Svaha and I had an extraordinary experience of feeling the heart open. I went home and cried all week-end. For weeks afterwards I felt much lighter. As a result I resolved to do a training with Maura Sills, which appeared a couple of months later, as the Foundation Course in Core Process Psychotherapy.

I went on to do an MA in Buddhist Psychotherapy and four years later qualified as a Core Process Psychotherapist at Karuna. This training developed a deeper connection to Buddhist practice and opened up a whole new world of awareness. I have been a full-time Psychotherapist since 2010.​

I THINK HE IS MORE QUALIFIED THAN THE SELF STYLED COUNSELLOR ON HERE

• Like Like x 1
    4. threefirefour
      Rebellious

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I try to never get triggered by this crap but why do some westerners feel the need to ruin Buddhism? What have we ever done to you guys? If a practice that Buddhists happen to practice has some merit in therapy then adopt without the religious baggage.

3nIOD.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      For the record, after looking into him, I still don't like Julian Cowen Hill, but he's a lot better than other scheisters like Jastreboff. Not that it's saying much. I feel he's the lesser of two evils, but I can see why people like him.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Julian Cowen Hill hasn't a clue about noise induced tinnitus @threefirefour . A good orator I grant you and well poslished but don't let that fool you. Although you and I have had our differences you're still alright to correspond with occasionally.
      All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks you too. And you're right still don't like the guy. I've watched his videos and I'm not convinced at most of what he has to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      He is using charm and polish to win over people that are desparate and in despair. Under these circumstances they will part with huge sums of money with the belief their suffering will be eased. I suppose it's a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      did he not get noise induced tinnitus from the notting hill carnival?

10. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I think he would be on par with any CBT therapist

11. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      FWIW, at the 2:00 mark in THIS VIDEO, Julian Hill describes how he experienced severe acoustic trauma, which took him back into severe tinnitus after he'd been free of it for years. As I recall, he said it took him 6 weeks to again move beyond the tinnitus, using essentially the same methods he'd done the first time around. Also, as I recall, he said he now has major hearing loss in his right ear from the acoustic trauma. So it appears he claims recovery from two different causes of tinnitus.

I've run across a number of articles and references to various kinds of mediation, yoga, etc. that have helped people with tinnitus. So I tend to believe Julian when he says he recovered from his tinnitus by using cranial sacral therapy. But just because it worked for him, doesn't mean it's necessarily going to work for others. I personally think he should probably be a little more explicit about that, as I feel pretty sure some of his clients have not experienced the same success he has.​

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I have decided to reply to your post @Lane as you are new to tinnitus and have been respectful. Julian can say anything in his videos to reel people in. Anyone seasoned to tinnitus will be able to see through his guff. I do not believe he has suffered accoustic trauma to the degree that I or others have in this forum. He may have some sensitivity to his auditory system but the tinnitus was orginally caused by stress and anxiety.

Michael

14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      he probably dropped hard a toilet lid sometimes when was too stressed again

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      "It's all about letting go and it's all about getting out of your head and getting in touch with your body. The more you're in touch with your body, the more you can really find where you hold onto things and then let go. You can't let go of what you don't know. So getting in touch with all the stuff that's inside, then you can start letting go and that's when the tinnitus will start backing off."

16. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
    17. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Blimey TFF - you’ll be doing meditation next....

18. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No I don't meditate. I used to. My parents still do every now and then.

19. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @threefirefour
      Julian Cowan Hill's Success Stories

His book taught me slightly less than sod all.....!

• Like Like x 2
    20. mattryp
      Alienated

mattryp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma ~ Wedding Reception
      Guys, he's not selling you anything... he's advocating relaxation and body-based techniques (to help shift attention away from T) that anyone can do at home, and strongly recommends finding a local craniosacral therapist, to help discharge the overly sensitized structures in your ears. He did have a bad acoustic trauma setback that's mentioned in the video shared by @Lane at around 2:00, and recovered from the tinnitus aspect of it, but says he's now severely deaf in his right ear.

I've been watching his videos for a while now, and am convinced that he's genuine. Julian has taught me just how much your emotional body plays a part in all this, that your consistent fight-flight reaction must be controlled, before you can begin to calm your nervous system, and heal.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    21. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well - his videos are selling his book, are they not?

I do like the guy, nice personality, and I agree with his relaxation and bodywork principles.
      It is too easy with this “thing” to fall into paralysis and stagnation.
      But he will have you believe that Habituation is such a realistic likelihood, a reality, and that he is totally cured.

I personally practice meditation every day.
      It is 20/30 minutes when I am not asleep, and am not experiencing Tinnitus either.
      At least he is an encouraging voice of positivity.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I can see one real benefit of JCH’s book and philosophy.
      When we were in the throes of utter misery, in that unbelievably terrible early dilemma that we have all been through - his videos and his book were ‘one more straw to cling on to’ - one more avenue to consider - one more time-consuming possibility, while we desperately waited for some degree of acceptance to settle within us.
      I devoured at least ten books in that period.

I personally found no ‘nuggets’ or even ‘gold dust’ which was quite disappointing, considering the effort and expense I went to, but as I say - reading about Tinnitus somehow took my mind off of ‘experiencing’ Tinnitus.
      My calmest times now, are when I am ‘brain busy’ - debating some such - or when I am writing some of my ‘drivel’ on here.
      Distraction!
      Sometimes I even drive people to it......

Anybody need a lift.......?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma, noise exposure, TMJ, neck?
      I would pay JCH anything if he could get rid of my head buzzing/hissing. It is really tormenting me lately. He doesn't think people afflicted with tinnitus should visit forums too much which makes sense.He never mentions going on a AD for some reason? That was the first thing a ATA reference person said to me years ago. Treat the depression, not the tinnitus. If I could only find one without side effects.

I never heard him mention using hearing aids/maskers either for some reason? Maybe he thinks they would ramp up your CNS even higher? I never hear him even mention TMD caused tinnitus. That may be a possibility for me although I had a barotrauma on that side also. Confusing.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    25. Contrast

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      injury from noxious noise
      anime.

But real talk, I don't think that Julian Cowan Hill is a con man his ideas of relaxing the nervous system may reduce tinnitus in most people.

• Like Like x 3
    26. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I tend not to trust anyone trying to sell anything over the Internet.

A little harsh, I know, but it's like asking a barber if I need a haircut.

He may be well intended. He looks like a nice man, but again, every good salesman do.

I don't believe he found any type of cure. If he did, everyone in the Tinnitusphere would be forming a very long line at his door.

Best,
      Zug

• Agree Agree x 4
    27. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      JCH should not have made claim to being self cured, if he had not done this, he would be treated as another Jastreboff semi god by members on here

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      if he was available on the PRE PAID NHS there would be such a line

29. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma, noise exposure, TMJ, neck?
      JCH's lack of testimonials is a big problem. People want references before they part with their money. It is a bit odd that there isn't many negative references either if he treated over 600 people.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      watch the video i posted on JCH

• Like Like x 1