Just Can't Cope :'(

Discussion in 'Support' started by amybu22, Feb 27, 2016.

1. amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      it's been 11 months now and it was relatively mild with the occasional spikes but now I swear I'm in hell.
      I've had a cold and really bad cough for over a week and my tinnitus is SO LOUD it's like a computer noise maybe but just loud loud loud.
      I took cough medicine with codiene in and it made it even louder and I can't deal with it anymore :( I don't think it's ever gonna go back to been quiet it is through the roof I can't cope

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Question: Can you hear it everywhere you go, for example in a restaurant, outside, with the TV on, etc.? What are the places and situations where you can't hear it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I have only been out to walk the dog cause I haven't been well and I could hear it then and I only used to be able to hear it at home ugh it's horrible :( never gonna sleep

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      :( :( I feel really bad for you. My suggestion would be to go to a doctor and tell him EVERYTHING that happened and see if he can do anything about it. If not, maybe he can give you a short prescription for Xanax to calm you down (do not use long term please for your health's sake because it can cause terrible tolerance and withdrawal symptoms!!) then go to a place that gives free hearing tests (like hearing aid places) and see if you have a hearing loss. If you do, ask them if you can do a trial period with them (get some with maskers if that might help you calm down) and see if the tinnitus reduces or you calm down to it. Also, it is very possible it will go down on its own. One other thing is if it continues to bother you during sleep go out and get a large indoor water fountain for your room as this can help mask tinnitus which can relax you and help you fall asleep. I saw one the other day at "At Home" for $199.99 but it isn't on their website. :(

Edit: The guy below me may have better advice for you because I am not familiar with colds and tinnitus. I did find a fountain that may be good for you, but I am not sure. If you have one of these stores in your area maybe you can see if they have it running:
      http://www.athome.com/21.6in-stone-wtrfall-fountain/124169096.html#q=fountain&start=8

Edit: I might have overreacted in my advice. If you can and the doctor approves, stop taking the codeine and hopefully the tinnitus will diminish.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Don't panic and despair. Your spike may be related to the cold. Do you have sinus congestion or infection? This can cause T to spike. Often spikes from a medical or health cause will subside after the cause is taken care of. Also the lack of sleep can make T worse as well as stress and anxiety. How about masking? Have you done any masking to help reduce your suffering?

6. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Hey I'm sorry to hear you're struggling to cope. A lot of people have spkes when they have coughs and colds, it may calm down when you're back to full health and I hope it does.

I think you should stop taking Codeine too. It is supposedly ototoxic and known to cause hearing loss/tinnitus. Could someone more knowledgeable confirm?

7. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Ive had a few colds since i got tinnitus. Spiked every time, with new sounds etc. Always went back to normal when the cold went away.

8. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Just had a nasty cold to and it made my T go LOUD. A sound i never heard before. A low sound that cuts trough everything. One day my ears popped and the sound whas gone. I hear it somethimes but very soft. Go to you'r dokter. Let your ears check. I had fluid behind it.