Just Noticed/Developed Both Types of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Elaine S., Nov 23, 2017.

1. Elaine S.

Elaine S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at this time
      Hi all and happy Thanksgiving! I discovered this forum a few days ago while googling the topic of ringing/buzzing in the ears.

About a week ago I suddenly began to notice a high pitcher buzzing noise, kind of like a computer or radio would make, in both my ears. I also began to notice an occasional sound of my pulse or heartbeat thumping in my right ear only. So it seems like I have both regular and pulsatile tinnitus. I have made an appt to see my dr in 2 weeks about this and some other minor complaints. The tinnitus is not a huge problem at this time and I can "tune it out" fairly easily.

My main concern is whether or not it mean s something serious like an imminent stroke or brain tumor, not likely since I have been in pretty good health and don't have a history of heart disease, but I still fret about it.

Anyway, I thought I'd join the forum and see if anyone else had helpful tips or advice. Thanks!

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am glad that your T's volume and pitch is such that it doesn't bother you too much. You may want to protect your ears from loud noises. You may also want to avoid moderate noises like that of a hair dryer and vacuum cleaner.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elaine S.

Elaine S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at this time
      Thanks Bill! Some other things I have noticed: my right ear does have a slight feeling of fullness or fluidity; the Valsava maneuver makes the pulsatile sound stop; the pulsatile sound happens most frequently when I get up from a sitting position, so I kinda suspect that I'm hearing my jugular vein... hopefully the problem is in my ear and not the vein.

4. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      I have both types of tinnitus as well. My pulsatile tinnitus started first but then a week and a half later, the ringing started. Still trying to figure out what caused the pulsatile one, just got an MRI done and waiting for the results. Mine is somatic (I can control it by neck movement/make it stop if i turn my neck, sometimes; not all the time) and comes and goes (I can get months without it or at least have it barely there).

It's unlikely that there's anything dangerous as that's fairly rare, but hopefully your GP will refer you for the necessary tests, just to be sure. Some doctors will unfortunately brush you off so you may have to put your foot down if they try to send you home with nothing, just because they can't see anything in your ear (pulsatile tinnitus isn't an ear problem so they wouldn't see anything anyway, but the majority of the GP's i've seen are ignorant to that fact). You are your own best advocate for your health, and pulsatile tinnitus is the most curable form of tinnitus. It doesn't always have a reason behind it but sometimes it does.

Good luck~!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Valsalva maneuver can hurt your ears (and increase T) if you do it too forcefully. It is better not to risk doing it. If you have to do it, try to do it as gently as you can.
      It is a sign that something hurt your inner or middle ear (this seems to imply that the problem is with your ear and not with a vein). Have you been exposed to any loud noises in the past two weeks? Have you been listening to loud music using headphones?

Often T resolves by itself. Check out the studies on pages 1, 2, and 4 of
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elaine S.

Elaine S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at this time
      I don't do the Valsava maneuver too forcefully, just enough to notice a difference in the sound. I haven't been habitually listening to loud music lately, and can't think of anything recent that would have hurt my ears, but who knows. Maybe I have a low grade inflammation or infection in my ears or sinuses? We'll see.