Just Recently Got Tinnitus (Ear Infection and Scratching?)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by anlia, Sep 23, 2018.

1. anlia
      Scared

anlia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection (?)
      Hi all. I recently got Tinnitus on Tuesday, 9/18 (almost a week).

It started with an ear infection since mid-August, which I've been seeing an ENT physician for. My ear infection is a stubborn outer ear infection caused by fungus. I got a CT scan earlier that day on 9/18 and scheduled a follow-up appointment to go over the results on Thursday, 9/20. Of course when I went home, I was stupid and tried to scratch my ear canal with an ear pick because of itch and to get some debris out to hear a little better. I do not believe I touched the ear drum, only around the ear canal. That was when Tinnitus started and it hasn't stopped. Also, along with the ringing, my throat started hurting/very mild but difficulty swallowing...?

I've read a lot on this forum and while I know mine can't really compare to some of yours that have been going on for months and years (how do you all do it?).... it's freaking me out. I haven't had a good night's sleep since Tinnitus started. Some nights I can't sleep at all and others, I keep waking up every 1-2 hours. Masking with sounds doesn't really help. It also doesn't help that I am stressed about the ear infection which getting slightly better but still healing(?), ringing, and also work (busy season that I can't take off).

I've also tried looking up people getting Tinnitus due to outer ear infection, and it seems like I haven't found too many cases. Usually it has to do more with middle/inner ear infection. My CT scan confirmed mine is only external.

I also would like to mention I am an avid earphone user which I've stopped end of August. Also I went to a concert late August before I know what I had was an ear infection. (Originally, I thought it was only earwax blockage which I have had a few times when I was a child/teenager.)

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? For example, why did my throat start hurting at the same time the Tinnitus started? My ENT physician said it was unlikely to be connected to the ear infection, and could be due to allergy. I'm slightly doubtful. Could my Tinnitus possibly be due to scratching the epidermis and may get better once the swelling/outer ear infection has healed? Do I have any hope of this going away?

Thanks in advance.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What are you doing (other than scratching your ear canal with an earpick) to treat your outer ear infection? Has the doctor given you any action items or meds?

Your T can come from many different reasons, but you seem to think that your scratching was the trigger, which is plausible.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      anlia
      Scared

anlia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection (?)
      Before we knew it was fungal infection, I was prescribed Cipro HC drops for bacteria infection. Then we stopped for a period (maybe 5 days-a week) and then I was on Clotrimazole. I was on Clotrimazole for about 6 days when this happened.