Just What Is This Rumbling Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark Griffin, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hello all,

I have mentioned this before and i realise that i should just try to accept it but i would just love to know what this sound and feelings are.

I have the usual high pitched T in my ear which i am no longer concerned with but it's this lower pitched buzzing/rumbling/vibrating that causes the concern. It's always there in the background, sometimes very quite, sometimes louder (especially in the morning and late night) I have also noticed that if the ear is exposed to louder sounds for any period of time, for eg, listening to some music, at a quiet level through earphones or a car ride, the sound reacts and becomes much louder, this also creates a second lower sound with vibration and fullness of the ear (right ear). The sound returns to base level after a minute or so.

Has anyone experienced this T or similar? Does anyone have any insight as to what it may be? I have had an MRI scan which came back clear.

Thanks all

Mark

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Yes! I feel the same thing. its like two sounds, each originating in different locations. There's the central tinnitus that I don't feel is beatable, and doesn't worry me that much, then there is the peripheral sound (I think that's what Ornitering is describing a couple of posts above) which doesn't sound central. When that sound reaches extreme my whole HF sound spectrum changes and becomes intolerable, and then it lets up for a day or two. Is this stapedial myoclonus? Why does it come and go? The best I've had as far as medical explanations go is "congratulations its a boy".

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It's puzzling isn't it. Mine rumbling is just in my right ear, if i nod my head, it responds with me. It's like there is something in there although i know there is not (MRI). I still have a feeling it is Eustachian tube based but i'm not sure.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When mine is at its hissing/screeching worst my Eustachian tube on the left crackles like bubble-wrap when I pop my ears. I find myself wondering if middle-ear ventilation problems are implicated in the intensity of my tinnitus.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      YES!! I get the cotton wool cracking sound in that ear, i really think there is a Eustachian tube issue somewhere which may be a contributor.

6. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      similar problem here. Low rumble and vibration in 1 ear, MRI clear, no hearing loss. It definitely feels like a PHYSiological problem

7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is. Sadly, all treatment options are based on the psychological responses to this PHYSIOLOGICAL issue. Imagine if Cardiology was this screwed up as a discipline. Imagine presenting somewhere with crushing central chest pain and being sent away with a TENS machine and a book on CBT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      and just now, I got up and it's much quieter!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1