Keeping Busy Made Me Forget About My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeterPan, Mar 26, 2023.

1. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      Yesterday I worked as an electoral office during the NSW election here in Australia. It's a 1-off day job starting from 7:00 am and ending at around 11:00 pm. Most of the work is crossing off names and handing out ballot papers and then counting up the results. I was a bit apprehensive at the start because I was a bit worried my hearing might be impacted, especially in a noisy environment (and obviously hearing is important when listening to names). Plus, I slept very badly the night before.

It's a pretty busy non-stop day. I'm normally pretty much aware of my tinnitus, especially when I am having a bad day. Yesterday, I can say, I hardly noticed it. Not because it was a good day, but because I was so busy! Maybe dong this kind of job can be therapeutic...! Also, thankfully I had no problems with hearing.

• Like Like x 10
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That's great to hear. The only time my tinnitus fades from my perception is when I'm actively reading information on the internet on my phone, which is something I do around 14+ hours a day.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      A Win is a Win! Glad you had a productive day where tinnitus wasn't the boss. Many more to come hopefully.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    4. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Good for you, that's a positive experience. Same thing happens for me. As a matter of fact whenever something causes a spike, I get busy on something distracting.

George

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Yup, keeping busy is out of necessity. Not because I want to, but because I NEED to.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would like to keep busy, but while I am doing the things I love, I quickly lose concentration and look for something else. I have so many interests but none are interesting. Does this make sense to anyone? Maybe @ZFire?

• Like Like x 2
    7. CalmAcceptance
      Fine

CalmAcceptance Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I volunteer daily at our local animal shelter. There are over 60 dogs and approximately 15 cats plus a few bunnies that need my help: walking, feeding, giving meds, and cuddling. When I am there, I never noticed my tinnitus. Anyway, the dogs are pretty darn loud with their barking so I doubt my tinnitus is ever louder than the dogs! It's only when I am at my piano, playing classical music that my tinnitus is so noticeable, that and at bedtime or working at the computer. I am trying to make peace with my tinnitus. I am not always successful.

Wishing everyone a pleasant day, tinnitus and all :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2