Klonopin (Clonazepam) Forever?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, Dec 18, 2016.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      If I find a doctor who will prescribe me and won't ever taper me off against my will, then at what point will I run to problems?

Will it always work if I just up the dose? What to expect other than some amnesia?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Klonopin/clonazepam, is usually prescribed for people with severe tinnitus. I was prescribed it in 2010 after having TRT for (2 years ) the 2nd time in 20 years. TRT helped but my tinnitus didn't return to its previous manageable level. It now ranges from silent to severe.

My ENT Dr advised me to only take it when my tinnitus is severe. I take 2x 0.5 tablets for 1 or 2 days and then the tinnitus usually calms down. I was told if Klonopin/clonazepam is taken regularly, a person can become dependant on it (addicted). The body will also habituate to this drug if taken regularly and it will lose its effectiveness. When this happens a higher dose is needed to get relief from the tinnitus. It can also have unpleasant side effects if taken in high dosage.
      I haven't taken it for quite a while but it's there should the occasion arise. It doesn't help everyone that had tinnitus.
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I think about using it daily? What kinda side effects..?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't advise you to take this drug regularly for the reasons that I've stated. Mainly, you will habituate to it quickly and it will lose its effect. You haven't had tinnitus long and in my opinion, having corresponded with you for quite a while, I don't think you need it.
      Go here for a list of side effects: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/clonazepam-side-effects.html
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do I need :barefoot:

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I took it, 250 mcg twice a day for about 14 months. I don't think it ever did much more than make me dopey and vague at times. Coming off it was easy except for a day of phantom chewing, that I'm sure some of the Clubbers here understand. It didn't change my symptoms much as the same old T & H pattern continues without it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If your after long term treatment to help anxiety and mood and help tinnitus you would do better being on a low antidepresant like nortryptaline or Amitryptaline.. ..nortryptaline is more tolerated will minimal side effects....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow that long time and you didn't get any bad withdrawal symptoms?

I fear those both would make the ringing worse :( lots of love to you too :)

9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      No. Not really. Apart from the neuropathic chomping I mentioned, which can be a side effect or withdrawal effect from a number of legal and illegal psycho-active substances, I didn't really have anything of note. Sometimes with these things you get a rebound of the pathology that made you take the drug in the first place because the job of the drug is masking, not curing, and this can be interpreted as being a withdrawal symptom. Remember though, one size rarely fits all. Maybe I was lucky.