Klonopin Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Support' started by kevin b, Jan 19, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I know this subject has been touched on but I am looking for specific help. I have been on .05 Klonopin three times a day for about 6 months. I felt my anxiety was under control and wanted to taper off as I felt I would long term be able to handle anxiety with therapy, I am also on an AD. My pscy doctor is very pro Klonopin. The first two weeks I cut my nightime.05 does in half and everything seemed fine. I then cut my morning dose by 1/4. I only had pulsating T but now I have developed a hissing sound in my left ear that I did not have before. my anxiety is now back. Did I taper too fast? Should I up my dosage alittle bit and then taper even more slowly?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Nic B

Nic B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal \m/
      I'm not a doctor, but if it is still manageable, perhaps wait a few weeks before upping your medication again? What has been effective for me in dealing with this, is when I get a spike and start to feel overwhelmed, I look at my calendar and say ''if this is this bad in 3 weeks, then I will allow myself to freak out''. So far, I forgot about it every single time.

None of this is a precise science, but are you SURE that your tinnitus has changed, or are you simply more obsessed by it because you are dealing with the consequences and anxiety of tapering off the benzos?

• Like Like x 1
    3. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I got hissing T in my left side of my head that I never had before. I was thinking of upping the dose alittle and then tapering down more slowly. I am at half the dosage that i started on.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Just remember:
      It always gets worse before it gets better!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      I'm afraid not always - really bad advice here lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      I took klonipin 1/2 mg night and 1/4 day for 6 weeks I cut them in half for for 2 weeks then cut out day dose for 2 weeks then cut my 1/4 at night in half to .125 mg for 2 weeks then off them completly .I had anxiety on each cut but pushed through it. My T got louder but now that I am off them I feel better.I am not against Benzos but of course if you can do without them your better off.Tinnitus is something to survive untill you can not pay attention to it and then your anxiety will subside .If you need meds you need meds but take only what you need. Try not to up dose from original dose and your ween mabe should be more gradually done.I did not take them as long as you ,and I came off them rather fast. I've tried AD twice I think taking an AD can be good for some people but I could not take it.Side effects and just a feeling of being out of it.But my phyc dr said once the AD kicked in I would not need klonopin.Kevin if your AD is working you might try weening off the benzos but if you can't talk to your dr. about it mabe change AD meds. then try again to ween off.I have heard when you come off benzos it can make T worst but it is perception it is because the benzos were keeping your perception of T down which is good for your anxiety and keeps T down .You can come off klonipin and also have controll of your T.Once you do this you will have better controll of your anxiety.Give it time to get out of your system.You have had T for 1 year so when you clear out from the benzos you might habituate fast .I know you will .Just ween slow then give T time to calm down.Kevin You will be alright.

7. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I added a .125 dose back to each .25 dose. I will try that for two weeks and see if that helps. If so Then I will try a .25 dose for two weeks and keep slow tapering to I am done. My Dr is a great guy but he does not get T and is a big proponent of Klonopin and says i am on alow dose for a short time. that he is people on it for years. I agree that i should be off it and will have to fight thru any anxiety, I think I was cutting too fast and the increase of some new T freaked me out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      i hope it helps better

btw widrowals from clonazepam couses tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      Does the t eventually leave once you are off them? Or does it continue ringing during the whole taper or does anyone know if it stabilizes during a holding period?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. I'm wondering if I am in tolerance withdrawl..I am starting to think so.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Tinnitus that is truly benzo induced seems to go away for most people after a long period of time.

If it were me, I'd try going back up to the previous dose for 1-2 weeks to see if it would resolve the new tinnitus. But, be careful about going up and up; this is a sign that your nervous system is starting to change itself to adapt to constant benzo in your blood, you definitely don't want to go too far down that road or else tinnitus will be the least of your problems.

12. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Would you suggest this for AD withdrwal as well? My T turned from a few solid tones to high squeaking noises on top as soon as I tapered. The squeaks are not loud but more bothersome than the other louder noises. The scratching and sqeaking are the noises that feel like pain to me when they hit my ear. They are random all over my head and into my ears, always changing. I feel like these noises could go away as they are just on and off randomly and all over the place, probably false hope I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't have enough experience with ADs to comment, but I do think that in general, drug-initiated nervous system glitches do often resolve given enough time off the drugs.

• Informative Informative x 2
    14. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      doesn't klonopin cause hearing loss? it is a terrible drug and raises Alzheimer's risk 84%
      www.bmj.com
      it shouldn't be prescribed for sleep apnea. it may affect GABA levels and nerve conduction. my ears feel really congested and numb even on the prednisone and I think klonopin may be damaging my ears and caused hearing loss?

15. JOrange

JOrange Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am tapering off of .5mg of Klonopin and it has increased my T pitch. Trying to stay positive and taper slowly which my doc does not support. Also on neurontin which has helped with w/d - small dose then will taper that as well.
      I hope my T calms down. I was at my GP and the residence in training said "oh Benzos can cause tinnitus in w/d." I asked all these questions prior to taking the medicine. I developed a tolerance while my doctor was away and trying to taper and so they put me back on the med. Sigh.

Anyone taper off Klonopin using neurontin?

16. Roundhouse

Roundhouse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've been on Kolonopin for 20 years for restless legs, neurontin (600 mg gabapentin) for a year and tapering K for six months. I have had T for two years and think it may have been from an increase in K. I started my taper because of the link to Alzheimer's. The neurontin was for RLS and worked well for a while but I think I am quickly needing higher dose and don't want to go down that road again.
      The neurontin has much worse side effects than K, like waking up stoned and major dehydration while I sleep. K only put me to sleep with no hangover, the whole object of taking it. You can't get high on it IMO.
      My Dr. thinks neurontin is no big deal, but I can't find anything much on it. 20 years ago no one thought K was bad except the DEA. Wiki says they don't know what makes neurontin work yet they prescribe it for everything. That's not reassuring.
      My T has been bad these last 3 months while tapering K and I can only hope to get it back where it was when I'm finished. I saw no lowering of T the first six months on neurontin with a constant dose of K.
      Good Luck

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. inadmin

inadmin Member

Where did you read about kolonopin and hearing loss?

18. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      it was on here there was someone who posted that their hearing loss was caused by klonopin. How dangerous and bad of a drug is it?
      I don't get any effects on it except I notice better sleep and I think less number of times that I stop breathing, otherwise I would wake up terribly foggy and with headaches from low oxygen

19. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I mean because of the hearing loss I want to switch to ambien and I can't find a surgeon to do the sleep apnea surgery

• Genius Genius x 1
    20. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      i stoped using then and t remained