Kyoto University and Boehringer Ingelheim Team Up to Fight Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Ian Mac, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      • Like Like x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      This is great Ian!, the type of news i was looking for, thank you so much for posting :)

4. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hallelujah!

Amazing news, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Sounds good. Gives me a bit more hope for the (long-term) future.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Perhaps when in 2012 Stanford talked about a 10 year roadmap for a (part) cure for hearing loss they knew what they were talking about.:)

• Like Like x 1
    7. XDR

XDR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to BS
      • Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Sasja
      Cheerful

Sasja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      "The partnership, which will begin in April and continue for three years, is reported to be an unusual move for Kyoto University. The institution rarely works with non-Japanese pharmaceutical companies at the early stages of drug development."

As this article is good news (and a confirmation of a Boehringer statement 6 months ago), this passage sketches what is wrong with research in our world. If everybody that is schooled in a subject would work together, or at least be somewhat interlinked, then we may have had a solution already.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    9. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Yes and I think it would be very beneficial if Action On Hearing Loss, Stanford and Hearing Health Foundation would team together. I believe it is happening already between Hearing Health Foundation and Stanford, but much more sharing of data can only be beneficial for progress. Perhaps it is happening already between universities?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Whats your opinion on this @Cityjohn
      aways very appreciate it

11. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      The group Otostem holds a large range of researchers all across the world. Check them out if you haven't yet Reinier. Unfortunately, they haven't updated their site in two whole years.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The Internet is kind of a meeting place, I'm new to this research but it seems like things are moving faster and attention is growing on hearing loss and tinnitus. Research is posted online and scientists across he globe have access to them. One problem is patents and if a corporation patents a procedure then for whatever reason they don't use the technology, nobody else can use that technology to treat hearing loss or tinnitus or anything else.

13. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      This is very interesting. I don't think restoring the hair cells will improve hearing loss and it is worth mentioning that Light therapy seems to show a clear restoration in the outer hair cells as indicated by reduction in hyperacusis and noxacusis which is caused in the ear itself. Other than that hair cell regeneration will most likely not lessen tinnitus in a considerable way.

What I did find very interesting though is the following; @XDR mentions in his original post something about HGH and IGF-1. Now I reckon @XDR is a body builder because I too know about these two.
      I had once strained my back with powerlifting and my partner had a herniated lumbar disc, both of which are now healed. I had done a biomechanical study then to examine why specifically that one lumbar spinal disc seems to always give people problems, at that time I also studied why some bodybuilders very rarely spontaneously recover from a lumbar disc problems after they do something exceedingly stupid such as 400kg calf raises with a weight belt around their waist.

As it turns out many body builders load up on all kinds of growth hormones and consume tremendous amounts of raw material. As such some of them have regenerated their spinal CNS, so I think pursuing growth factors that are available (illegally) to body builders is something we could pursue.
      It is worth mentioning that growth hormones are dangerous and that I have no idea how a growth hormone applied to the skin near the ear would reach the inner ear anyhow.

• Informative Informative x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What is Noxacuses? I googled it but only found a company called "no excuses" lol.

15. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Did you find this?
      https://www.statnews.com/2016/02/18/noise-induced-ear-pain/

"Using new lab tools and techniques, pioneering scientists have identified what appear to be pain fibers in the inner ear, or cochlea. They are coining new terms, including “noxacusis” and “auditory nociception,” for this newly recognized sensation of noise-induced ear pain."

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm terribly sorry, the correct term is noxacusis. It is the pain caused by loud noise in the ear, or by nothing (nox) when people get hearing damage and tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noxacusis - that's definitely what this poor woman had before she decided for euthanasia.

"I have tinnitus and I want to die"

18. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      "Kyoto University discovered that applying new stem cells to the surface of the glial scar rather than underneath it helps their survival. They reported that the survived stem cells were able to grow from the damaged segment of the auditory nerve, which then travel from the cochlea to the brainstem, the part of the brain which controls flow of messages between the brain and the rest of the body – in this case, the ear - and eventually restored remarkable auditory function. They discovered that auditory function was better restored with the new, surface transplantation method in comparison to previous direct transplantation."

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sounds so good but I worry that this happened almost a year ago and we've heard nothing more. Did they just stop with this revolutionary technique?

20. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I dont know, maybe they are still working on it, i mean they only try it on animals, maybe they are still studying how to do it in humans,
      and plus maybe some of the scientist involed in this are also involved with....
      Boehringer Ingelheim Team Up to Fight Hearing Loss

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Igf-1 is my favorite. Does hernia to the lumber disc cause degeneration in the CNS? What were your symptoms? Did you also have to regenerate your CNS? I don't see how you know they regenerated it.

22. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No I had just strained my muscles, my partner had a herniated lumbar disk. I read studies of body builders that seem to have spontaneously recovered and indeed their MRI showed recovery of the lumbar disc. Generally speaking when a protrusion assaults the spinal chord which you experience as severe pain it will get 'bruised'. If severe you can lose feeling in the legs and even become incontinent.
      Very rarely a body builder seems to have little trouble overcoming both problems, perhaps this is due to the substances they take.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see, or without taking anything simply the substances and hormones they produce by lifting, such as IGF-1, HGH, ect. As you said supplements could be at play also.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Has laser therapy really been proven to work on outer cells!? Do you have links to the studies? If so I'm getting my rig tomorrow I would love some relief from hyperacusis have you noticed anything from your own laser setup??

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably vestibular neuritis in summer 1999
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26553995

Abstract
      In the mammalian cochlea, acoustic information is carried to the brain by the predominant (95%) large-diameter, myelinated type I afferents, each of which is postsynaptic to a single inner hair cell. The remaining thin, unmyelinated type II afferents extend hundreds of microns along the cochlear duct to contact many outer hair cells. Despite this extensive arbor, type II afferents are weakly activated by outer hair cell transmitter release and are insensitive to sound. Intriguingly, type II afferents remain intact in damaged regions of the cochlea. Here, we show that type II afferents are activated when outer hair cells are damaged. This response depends on both ionotropic (P2X) and metabotropic (P2Y) purinergic receptors, binding ATP released from nearby supporting cells in response to hair cell damage. Selective activation of P2Y receptors increased type II afferent excitability by the closure of KCNQ-type potassium channels, a potential mechanism for the painful hypersensitivity (that we term "noxacusis" to distinguish from hyperacusis without pain) that can accompany hearing loss. Exposure to the KCNQ channel activator retigabine suppressed the type II fiber's response to hair cell damage. Type II afferents may be the cochlea's nociceptors, prompting avoidance of further damage to the irreparable inner ear.

26. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Well, I'm just a regular person so it is hard for me to fully understand those articles but am I right this one also validates the importance of potassium channels thing? Like the effect of Trobalt?

27. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably vestibular neuritis in summer 1999
      I'm not sure because i'm like you. But Yes, it seem that potassium channel (trobalt is an exclusive anticonvulsant with those properties) play an important role about on the downreglation of neurons overactivation.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      I used retigabine without effect on my H or my T ... :/

• Like Like x 1
    29. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Oh no.. I'm so sorry it did not work for you. I saw it worked for so many people so I rise my hopes on it.

30. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mention 'seems to' because I'm going on people here that have experiences with a home laser from konftec, Dr. Wilden's clinic, and Wilden's conference talks and reported succes rates. ATEOS has many before and after audiometries that clearly show improvement, I'll do the same after my treatment. LLLT has been very extensively proven to work on peripheral nerves and other bodily tissues such the epidermis. Because of this I'm testing it now.