L-Tyrosine — Experiences? Any Positive Effect on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Dec 19, 2018.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I was curious if anyone here has taken L-tyrosine either for tinnitus or in general. If so, how did it make you feel and/or did it help?

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think years ago, I tried taking tyrosine to increase dopamine, after a neuro transmitter test noted I had low dopamine and serotonin levels.

I had read about Rauschecker' s interest in linking dopamine and serotonin to tinnitus.

It was around the same time, that I developed subclinical hyperthyroidism.

I dont recall it helping my tinnitus.

But, I discontinued it in case my thyroid didn't like it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @JasonP -- I noticed this is the only thread on the forum with tyrosine in the title. I'm curious if you ever gave this a try. I just did some searching on another forum, and discovered a comprehensive post within a fairly lengthy thread. For anybody who's interested in pursuing research into this amino acid, here's a link to that post: -- @Daniel Lion

Anyone Else Have Massive Improvement From Tyrosine?

Snippet from the above linked post:

Julia Ross published a book on using amino acids for mood as certain amino acids are precursors to certain neurotransmitters and thus affect neurotransmitter deficiency. She posted a questionnaire which can help you figure out which amino acids might affect you. It certainly gives you a clue as too how your system is operating.

See: The Mood Type Questionnaire Identify the causes of your own negative emotions

This article may also be of interest: -- L-Tyrosine For Anxiety: Why it Works and How to Take It

"L-Tyrosine influences the synthesis of a number of neurotransmitters and hormones within the brain that control stress levels. Since Tyrosine is known to increase dopamine levels in the brain, it is theorized that this is one of the mechanisms of action by which it is able to control anxiety symptoms."​

• Like Like x 1