Laser Acupuncture — Anyone Tried It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Apr 7, 2016.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Has anyone tried laser acupuncture?
      I have an opportunity to have it done by medically trained doctor and it's all covered by Medicare, no expenses from my pocket!
      I read the succes story of another member but wondering if anyone else tried it?

2. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried it in January 2016. Did not help me. But the doctor said it has worked for many of his patients, sometimes relieving their tinnitus immediately, sometimes a few days after the treatment. The doctor I visited is an MD. He is an anesthesiologist by training, and later in his career became an advocate and practitioner of laser therapy.

The doctor I visited said the most important element was finding the trigger points that needed releasing by the laser. So, it is important that you have someone knowledgeable and experienced. Which it sounds like you do.

Especially if it does not cost you anything out of pocket, I would say give it a try!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Thank you!
      This guy is a medical doctor, Malaysian, who does laser accoupunture. He's been around for a long time and was recommended to me by someone who was helped by LAcc for back pain.
      Of course, not having to pay for it is a bonus.
      I'm just scared it may make t worse?!

4. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In thinking more about this, I realize I am not totally sure exactly what laser acupuncture is. What I had done I think would be best called laser trigger point therapy - the doctor looked for knots in the tendons around my ears, jaw, neck, shoulders, etc. As he found knots that were tight, he applied the laser to release them. The idea being that overly stressed and knotted tendons near the ears could be constricting nerves in or near the ears, and by releasing pressure on the nerves, that would relieve the tinnitus.

So is the the same as laser acupuncture? Maybe?

I am just a patient, not a doctor, but logically it seems to me that what I had done could not make tinnitus any worse, since it was really just a matter of making tendons healthier and possibly addressing a compressed nerve causing tinnitus. And in my case at least, it did not make things any worse. Not better, but not worse.