LDLs

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Mar 5, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      This may be an odd question, but is there a reason my LDLs from one audiologist could be very different from another audiologist?

Last May my LDLs were taken by a different audiologist than who I went to yesterday, and I have noticed progress in my everyday life of things that used to hurt me a few months ago and that don't anymore, but for whatever reason my LDLs look like they have dropped?

The audiologist was also a bit skeptical because she said the conversation we had been having would be louder than what these LDLs have shown, so she thought I just was pressing the button too soon, but I think the test was different then the time before in May, but I am not positive.

I just am discouraged now after seeing those numbers apparently drop, but I definitely felt as I was making progress.

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      LDL's are numbers, and only numbers. How do you yourself feel? Do these numbers reflect how you are feeling?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @PaulBe no, I thought my LDLS would be at almost 80, not 60. Especially since I can drive in a car on the highway which protection and my db meter reads that at 73-79dbs. But I guess now I am just scaring myself all over again. I woke up this morning with my ear achey, and I haven't felt that in awhile, so I really don't know.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You probably know from that other forum that I'm not a fan of LDLs. They work for some as a personal monitoring tool, but they aren't the sole means of judging your progress. It sounds like this test has caused you stress that has brought your focus right back onto your ears, and they are reacting accordingly. What you've outlined here, complete with how its affected you, is an example of why some practitioners won't do them, or at least will only reluctantly do them if asked.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      The audiologist that is working with me for the counseling part of TRT kind of said the same thing. She likes to talk more with the patient and feels that she finds out more through conversation. She said she would do a LDL test if a patient REALLY wanted to - but she doesn't like doing it because it could cause pain to the patient.

• Like Like x 1
    6. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accustic tramma due being too close to a fire craker when I was a kid
      Demi

I was just wondering what kind of ear plugs and the DB rating that your using when driving your car ? And about how fast you were going when you took your reading, plus of course the amount of time that you drove plays a big part in it too. I'm dealing with the same problem you are. I understand how you feel. I think that your stressing over the numbers, I know, because I do that from time to time.

Louie
      Quietatnight

7. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      If you went to a different audiologist it very well could have been user error. Each audiologist has their own method of using their test equipment. Some have their own equipment, To get an exact reading I feel these tests need to be done using to same equipment and the same audiologist. These pieces of electronics must also be calibrated properly.

Do you know if she used the same testing gear?

• Like Like x 1
    8. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Demi

I know that you posted your question back in march, and its a very good question, But I wanted to say this. I just got my LDL's tested 2 days ago and it's clear that this test is such a subjective test that even if you had either of your doctors retest you the next day that I truly doubt they would come up with the same numbers. I would never do mine again because of this fact. Their are just so many variables that can effect the numbers. Things like how much sleep you got the night before, How bad your anxiety was during the your test, so on and so on. Plus it could be doing more harm then good. I just don't have any faith in the accuracy of the test at all. I do have a question though, did they have you go up till you were just uncomfortable ? or until you just could not stand it or had any pain ? I was just wondering. Maybe one day they will come up with an objective version of that test, like with an MRI/PET scan while the LDL test was being done to see the results in real time. Now that would be a very accurate and valid test. May even be able to see it while being hooked up an EEG machine during the test. That might work as well I would think. At least its something that can be objectively measured.

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I agree with you, and after meeting with the doctor again I am sure it was just possibly me pressing the button too soon since she showed me that her voice and the conversation we were having was at about 67 db, and I tolerated that just fine.

About your question though, she they both had said to press the button as my uncomfortable level, not unbearable level.

10. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Demi

How are you doing over all ? I hope well, I don't think that I have seen you post much lately. Anyway,I was reading back some of your post, it sounds like you have had your LDL's tested a few times, I was wondering how many time's have you had them tested in the past few years ?

Also I know that you had some conversations with "Street Spirit" She seems to have dropped out, I hope that shes ok ? if you have any info about how shes doing could you please let me know. I probrally should rite to her, I guess I could do that.

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

11. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No, Lynn is still here. Talked to her in another thread a couple of days ago.
      If you want people to see your messages you can tag them, like this: @Street Spirit

12. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lapidus

I will do that, I'm still leaning how to use board.

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

13. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Hello! I first got H in January 2014, and had my LDLS tested in May 2014. I didn't start TRT but did listen to the Pink Noise CD from the Hyperacusis Network. This past March I had them tested again and am starting TRT tomorrow, actually. I have shown some improvement through my everyday life, and my audiologist takes that along with sounds she has made in her office as a better representation than the actual test - since she believes I was pressing the button too early out of fear.

If you haven't gotten an LDL test it is a good idea to do so and work with an audiologist who is educated and has worked with hyperacusis patients before. I wish I hadn't had to wait over a year to start myself!

14. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Demi

I had an LDL test done a couple of weeks ago, and about 1 week after I did, I seemed to have developed ear pain now I don't understand why ? The audiologist only got up to 70 DB in my left ear and 75 in my right ear, she assured me that was not possible to have hurt my hearing. like we both know normal conversation is around 70 DB. So I just don't understand what is going on with me. I am glad that you are improving.

Louie

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @quietatnight I've had my bouts with unexplainable ear aches, if you haven't started TRT you should at least get the pink noise CD, and play it at low volumes. Also I learned in my early days that my mind/anxiety was making my H worse by being obsessed and worried and stressed, the same could be happening for you.

16. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank You Demi

Yeah, I know about the Pink noise CD and that's very good suggestion, I have that and also a white noise CD. I did TRT and Neuromonics when my tinnitus first started years ago, I guess I will try listening to my pink noise Cd again. My ear aches come and go through out the day. But not when I'm sleeping so I'm thankful about that. I guess it could be from stress or worrying I do that a lot. I just never had this problem ever before so I just don't understand what set it off other then the LDL test. This entire thing is just crazy. Anything that you can tell me about your ear pains I would like to know. Like how long they lasted ? did they go away after you listened to your pink noise CD ?

Thank You for getting back to me so quick. You have been very supportive on here to me and I do appricate your time.

Louie
      Quietatnight

17. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi Louie -

In LDL testing it is very important for the audiologist to give clear instructions regarding what he or she is means in terms of "discomfort." It is important to convey that this is not a test to see how much discomfort can be tolerated, but rather a test to determine the earliest point at which there is any discernible discomfort whatsoever. Equally importantly, it must be clearly conveyed to the patient that he or she is "the one in charge" and that the test can be terminated at any time. Too many people see LDL testing as some sort of torture that must be endured - especially those with severe hyperacusis and misophonia - so it is crucial to allay any concerns in that regard ... or else the test can generate totally unnecessary anxiety that can throw the results off. Finally, the test is done twice with only the second run counting. Having been successfully through the first run, the patient understands that a properly conducted LDL test is no big deal at all - and the results of that second run will therefore by much more accurate and consequently helpful in differentiating between the various forms of DST (decreased sound tolerance) as well as in monitoring progress.

• Like Like x 1
    18. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Not a problem, I know how hard it can be and I was thankful for the friendly people who were there to answer my questions when I first got H.

My ear pains have varied, I had setbacks that had put me in pain for weeks, and other times my ears ache for the day and go back to normal after a good night sleep, or sometimes - like the other day for example, I was taking out the recyclables and I accidentally turned over the bin fast instead of gently since I just wasn't thinking, and I had immediate pain to my ears. I then ran out and did some errands and came back home and ate dinner, and my ears felt fine. So honestly everyone is different, and every pain may not be the same. I know it is very confusing! I do find comfort in the pink noise cd, and listen to it as I sleep as well since my ears are now dependent on the sound. I find the days I don't listen to pink noise, or days I have earplugs in for a long amount of time my ears are more sensitive. Again, this could be mind tricks, but it is just what I have experienced.

Hope that helps! Hang in there!

19. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dr. Nagler

Thank You for your valuable input. I don't know what happened during my test, I don't know if putting 70/75 Db into ears caused some ear damage or what, But I will say I'm very very sorry that I did the test now, it was a big mistake. Its been about a week later and I have started to developed ear pain in both ears for the first time in my life. I don't know if this is going to be another life long infliction like my tinnitus, or if its going to go away over time if I build up my sound tolerances. But I have been in shock for days over this outcome, I have no idea what to do at this point, my hearing feels all messed up now. I should have never have did that to myself. The audiologist assure me that the test would not do ANY damage to my hearing, " NO WAY " I asked her two times, I even confirmed that with another audiologist. but here I am writing this message with both of my ears in pain. I don't understand how this could have happened ? I don't remember it was so fast, but I do know that we only did the test once in each ear it only took a few seconds. I did not get much instruction at all I just said stop when I felt uneasy. Maybe you have some answers here, I know that you have done these LDL test's many times in your practice. Any info would be great. The weird part is that my ear pain does not seem to be sounds related, I mean its not like I drop a dish or slam a door and I feel ear pain. My ear pain just starts up out of nowhere at any time even in a room with no sound at all. Makes no sense.

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

20. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @quietatnight Once again, you need to tag the person you're adressing a question to in order for them to see it. In this case, @Dr. Nagler

21. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do LDL's tell you that you don't already know yourself, and that a competent practitioner cannot gauge from proper patient assessment at interview? From what I've seen and read they seem to cause more angst than their value would seem to justify. Anyone??

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Thank you, Lap. I would not otherwise have seen Louie's question.

Louie, two things are for certain. The first is that there is absolutely no way that a 75dB sound can cause auditory damage, And the second s that there is absolutely no way that an LDL test can be accomplished in "a few seconds." So somewhere there is a disconnect.

Let me ask you this: What were the symptoms that led your audiologist to do an LDL study in the first place?

23. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Besides tracking progress in hyperacusis treatment, a positive shift in LDL's early on can be the very first sign that can tell a clinician that he or she is on the right track in whatever tinnitus treatment protocol he or she has recommended. But more importantly, properly conducted LDL testing can help differentiate between hyperacusis, misophonia, and recruitment. Each condition can manifest itself clinically in the same way ... but the treatment of each is distinctly different.

Hope this helps.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1
    24. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Dr. Nagler,

Here is what has happened me in the past 8 weeks since this entire episode started.

Thank You for taking the time to help.

My story

I have seen A GP, 3 ENT's and 2 audiologist's so far. Here's an over view of my story. I was fine 2 months ago with the exception of having tinnitus for about 30 years.

About 8 weeks ago, I had an acoustic trauma where as I was exposed to a vacuum cleaner right next to my head when I plugged it in I did not know it was in the on position ( I know its not much but for me, my ears have always been sensitive ) I was wearing ear plugs when I plugged in the vacuum cleaner, but I usually wear gun muffs over the ear plugs whenever I vacuum but that's rare, I usually have someone do it for me. But this time I was in a hurry and only had to vacuum under my desk 1 minute tops. So I just did it with ear plugs only ( FIRST MISTAKE ). Right after I got done I could tell that I had effected my hearing, both ears were dull and full and sounded muffled an I could barely hear out of my left ear. I could tell because I couldn't hear my grandfather clock ticking, I always hear that. So I went to my ENT 2 days later he removed a bunch of wax out of my ears and prescribed Prenisone Steroids, a 9 day course. 3 days later I was outside shoveling snow off of my stairs, it was about 25 degrees outside F , I don't know what that is in C. But anyway I was only outside in the cold about 15 minutes when all of the sudden out of nowhere I got extreme pain in both ears. I went into my house to warm up and the pain went away. I was fine the rest of that day and night, ok the next morning but at around noon the next day, I started to get a bad headache, dizziness and my tinnitus went up. This went on for 6 weeks constant headaches, dizziness and occasional ear/jaw pain but it was mild and not that often.

I went to see another ENT that checked me for balance issues ( I was fine ) and then to get my ears checked by the audiologist ( BIG MISTAKE NUMBER 2 ). I did the hearing test and my audio gram showed I was just a little low with a dip in the 4 K range, But then She did an LDL test ( THAT WAS THE THIRD AND BIGGEST MISTAKE ) I should have never have allowed that to be done. She hit me with 70 DB in my left ear and 75 in my right ear ( my good ear ). And I went home. The next morning when I woke up I felt all messed up. Everything was twice as loud and sounded very strange. It sounded like my icebox was a jet engine and I could hear my furnace running I never did before. I had heck of headache and dizziness. I felt that way for about 15 days then he real EAR PAIN started to happen, at first not too much but it increased day by day to where I am now. Now I have the ear pain along with the headaches and other pains most of the day. So that's it.

I know its crazy but it happened. Now I'm unable to do anything I cant drive I haven't even been out of my house for 3 weeks. If I even stand on my front porch it sounds like I'm standing behind a 747 plane everything is just way too loud. But my greatest fear is the ear pain that keeps coming and going. I'm in shock over the entire thing and I don't even know where to begin. Its an impossible situation I sure can't keep going on like this. Like I said before I really think that I am the only one with this kind of problem in the world.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you to have the entire story. I know I had gave you bits and parts of it the past few days.

Thank You for the time to read this.

If you have any idea's I'm open minded to anything. My brothers think that Its all in my mind and that I need to see a physiatrist. People with normal hearing don't understand it's always been that was as you already know.

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

25. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @quietatnight posted [in part]:

Here is what has happened me in the past 8 weeks since this entire episode started.
      My story
      I have seen A GP, 3 ENT's and 2 audiologist's so far. Here's an over view of my story. I was fine 2 months ago with the exception of having tinnitus for about 30 years.
      About 8 weeks ago, I had an acoustic trauma where as I was exposed to a vacuum cleaner right next to my head when I plugged it in I did not know it was in the on position ( I know its not much but for me, my ears have always been sensitive ) I was wearing ear plugs when I plugged in the vacuum cleaner, but I usually wear gun muffs over the ear plugs whenever I vacuum but that's rare, I usually have someone do it for me. But this time I was in a hurry and only had to vacuum under my desk 1 minute tops. So I just did it with ear plugs only ( FIRST MISTAKE ).

So Louie, this is the type of thing I was getting at when I asked you why your audiologist recommended LDL testing in the first place.

You say that whenever you vacuum, which you admit is rare, you usually wear gun muffs over your earplugs. And immediately I'm thinking to myself: Who wears gun muffs and earplugs to vacuum? I mean, most people who clean houses for a living don't even wear earplugs ... and here you are not only wearing earplugs, but wearing gun muffs as well? So right there, way way before your LDL testing, you had some very significant - in fact hugely significant - auditory challenges. Perhaps superimposed upon this already established auditory pathology, the LDL testing served as sort of a catalyst for a chain of events that would not have occurred at all in the absence of that pathology. I do not know. Is it phonophobia? Is it hyperacusis? Is it misophonia? Do you have recruitment or kindling phenomenon? As I said, I do not know. But to be truthful, at this point neither do you. Either way, I think that it is just a bit unfair for you to lay all of this on the LDL testing.

Thank You for the time to read this.

You are most welcome.

If you have any idea's I'm open minded to anything.

Well, if you had a very complex cardiac problem, I'd suggest that you do whatever it takes to see a cardiologist who specializes in the evaluation and treatment of individuals with your particular very complex cardiac problem. So since you have a very complex auditory problem, I suggest that you see a hearing healthcare clinician who specializes in the evaluation and treatment of individuals with your particular very complex auditory problem.

Hope this response helps more than frustrates.

All the best -

stephen nagler

26. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Dr. Nagler

Thank You for getting back to me so soon I know that you are a busy man. I understand what you mean here, but there's one thing that I just don't get. My hearing test that was done right before the LDL test was just about normal with the exception of a slight drop out at 4 K. And compared to audio gram of 2010 it was just a tiny lower other wise identical. The audiologist said she was not even recommend getting a hearing aide. So with hearing that good, I have to ask myself " If I have hyperacusis, how bad could it be " ? I would think that I would have bad hearing and very loud tinnitus and I don't have either ? My tinnitus is still there but not much worse then it was in 2010 as well. I would think because hyperacusis and tinnitus go hand in hand that some hearing issues would show up I even got a 100% on one ear and like a 85% on my other ear on the word recognition test. That's not bad for a man of 62 I here. So I just don't understand any of this. But your right I have been being very careful protecting my ears the last 5 years. Over wearing ear plugs ( And I know that's not a good idea ) and staying away from any loud sounds at all, I stopped all social interaction year ago. Is it possible that by doing that babying my ears these past 5 years that my ears were weak in tome say and just not able to endure the 70/75 DB LDL test that I just had done ? When I asked the audiologist's and the ENT's that question I was told " NO WAY " do you agree with them ? Its the only thing that I could come up with as crazy as it sounds. If you read back through the archives on Yuku board I had posted that question in there many times under the thread "Glass ears " that was years ago. Anyway you get my point.
      I guess I have to ask myself this question " Do I need to stop all sounds for a while to let my ears heal " ? or go back to listening to My Pink Noise CD. Or am I now too far gone for that option ? I just don't know anymore. Is there any hope ?
      I would go seek out one of your suggested doctors but I have two problems I cant ride in a car anymore because its too loud specialy that far I would never make it. And the other reason would be Why would I go see more doctors ? I mean what could they do no that I haven't already done over the years ?
      I do appreciate all your suggestions I truly do. I am just so lost at this time.

Thank You again for you taking the time and offering your advice, I have always admired you through out he years. I really am tired of fighting its been so many years and I'm so very tired. I feel like I have already given up. I don't know anymore. The sad part is I was doing fine for all of those years. Untill 8 weeks ago when this all started.

Louie
      Quietatnight

27. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Glad to help.

Hearing thresholds and DST (decreased sound tolerance) are two totally different animals.

Who said you have hyperacusis? All I can tell from your postings is that you have DST. As to why you have DST and what you should do about it, well that would depend on your diagnosis, which is why I recommended that you see somebody with particular knowledge and expertise in this field.

And you will continue to be in the dark until you are properly evaluated.

According to your posting you have been using gun muffs plus earplugs whenever you use a vacuum cleaner, and moreover you have "stopped all social interaction years ago." I do not wish to be harsh in any way, but in all honesty that is not exactly what I would call "doing fine." My suggestion would be to do whatever it takes to get an accurate diagnosis and have a treatment plan designed for you based upon that accurate diagnosis. Which is why I recommended that you see somebody with particular knowledge and expertise in this field.

I truly feel for you, Louie. I would love to be able to help you in some way. But I do not know exactly what is wrong with you ... and I think it's time you found out so you can begin to go about the business of getting better.

Kind regards -

stephen nagler

28. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Dr. Nagler

Even if I was able to get to another ENT's and or audiologist office I know I could never allow anymore sound testing of any kind. I'm sure that's just what they all will want to do to. I will NEVER NEVER even consider another LDL test, way to dangerous with my sound tolerance where it is now, it would be suicidal for me. I'd even be very apprehensive of even doing another audio gram at this point. I'm just way too concerned now about doing any further damage to my ears, I have no idea what could make things worse... And from what I have seen its like playing Russian roulette with 5 bullets in the gun with all of these hearing test and I have had them all.

Your right though I did not have much of a life before this all happened, but I was at least able to drive my car to get food and to stay alive and be independent. I don't know now what I'm going to do. I live alone, I'm on my own. I'm terrified of my future at this point. I'm in between a rock and a hard place now. And I have to admit for the first time in my life in a very dark place. My plan is to rest my ears up, and stay away from any sounds for a few weeks and try and build up my sound tolerances by listening to my Pink noise CD and or my neurominics and Hope and pray that my ears are still capable to be strengthen up and be able to raise my sound tolerances back up to a reasonable number ( its obvious to me that my LDL measurement of 70/75 DB is not correct, and that I question ) and slowly reenter back into the world of sound. I just don't see any other way. I'm sorry but I just don't have much faith in seeing more doctors.

But I do respect your advice it is the most logical, but I am finding out that hearing problems aren't logical in anyway.

Thank You again

Louie

Quietatnight

PS: I do know one fact without doubt, before the LDL test I never had ear pain, but I sure have ear pain now right after the test and sorry but I don't believe in coincidence's. What can I say. And no I have no idea what happened to the font and why it got so small,,, sorry.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I understand.

Look, right now you are in a bad place, but that doesn't mean you will always be in a bad place. As a doctor, I am biased. You don't have much faith in doctors, which is certainly your right, but I do not know how to responsibly offer you suggestions without knowing what is wrong with you, which would require your seeing a doctor. But not just any doctor; it would have to be a doctor with knowledge and expedience in evaluating and treating individuals with markedly decreased sound tolerance.

Best I can say at this time is that (1) I understand what you are going through, (2) I absolutely hate the fact that you are suffering, worried, and confused, and (3) I will keep a good thought for you.

stephen nagler

30. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "it would have to be a doctor with knowledge and experience in evaluating and treating individuals with markedly decreased sound tolerance."

I wouldn't mind meeting this one individual as well, wherever he is. A rare bird indeed in my part of the world. Possibly extinct.