Left Ear Versus Right Ear Tinnitus Susceptibility

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mock turtle, Dec 11, 2012.

tinnitus forum
    1. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      now i know people who have tinnitus the same each ear and i know people who have t louder in the right ear

but

most of the people i know who have tinnitus have it worse in the left ear...always wondered if this was just a matter of my limited experience or had a basis in science
      ---------
      Left-right asymmetry in the human response to experimental noise exposure. II. Pre-exposure hearing threshold and temporary threshold shift at 4 kHz frequency.

Pirilä T.
      Source

Department of Otolaryngology, University of Oulu, Finland.
      Abstract

The repeatedly noted average inferiority of the left ear (or superiority of the right ear) in epidemiological surveys at frequencies most susceptible to noise damage has not been experimentally confirmed. Twenty-eight non-shooting young adults were exposed binaurally to broad-band noise for a maximum of 8 h in strictly symmetrical laboratory conditions. The left and right hearing thresholds of each individual were monitored during short interruptions in the exposure. The average interaural hearing threshold difference became statistically significant during the exposure, the left ear being worse than right. The negative correlation found between the pre-exposure threshold level and the temporary threshold shift (TTS) was more marked in the left than in the right ear. In conclusion a hypothesis is presented: a good hearing threshold level in the right ear seems to be better protected from noise-induced temporary threshold shift than a good hearing threshold in the left ear.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1759571

-------
      now the question is...how an this be ? ? ?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Shay O'Connor

Shay O'Connor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/2012
      my humble contribution is to state that mine is far worse in the left..

3. Polar-Bear

Polar-Bear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Yes, mine is way worse in my left ear as well.

4. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Crikey, mine is too. But I was stood with the speaker at the side of my left ear so maybe I dont count for this poll. Spooky though.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I can't say the loudness of my tinnitus differs from one ear to the other, but my left ear has an additional sound besides the high pitched ringing (sort of like a clicking noise, although it's way quieter than the ringing).

Interesting study you were able to find though, mock turtle.

(Oh, and just noticed the study was done in Finland... great!)

6. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      left for me

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Right ear for me --- ringing and pulsating.

8. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Left for me! How strange!

9. nookie

nookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2006
      Right for me.

10. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mine is louder in the left ear and the "kind" of T in the right ear is different too...less hiss in right ear and...less EEEEeee too, but i get this very weird kinda "morse code" or "fax machine sound" over telephone in the right ear, that i dont get at all in the left...very strange

thanks everybody for the replies

11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      I am now similar to that MT. Two weeks ago I made it worse by going somewhere with 'normal' loudish noise and it caught me unawares, I didnt put my plugs in enough. Now I have a much louder solid ringing in the left and also the right has started now but that's a very high pitched hiss and bird cheeping noises. The left is still the high-pitched EEEeee as you put it ringing.

Does no-one else get their T worsening and staying worse, not just a spike? It was bad enough before but this......

12. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Louise, i get spikes that last a day...last 5 days, and a long long time ago i had tinnitus so bad i thought about doing unmentionable things

over a peroiod of two years my tinniiuts got "less loud" and...AND i learned to deal with it...i habituated, and by the time 5 years had gone by from the original onset of my "first" tinnitus...i was doing really well and almost never noticed my tinnitus

then a litle more than a year ago it all went crazy and im still not sure why....had a lot of stress...many medical proceedures, a variety of meds and maybe cumulative otoxicity to an ear already weakened

so yes i guess you could say i had a spike that stayed...but after a year i am doing better

sometimes a spike isnt really a spike...its a plateau that you rise up way high and then slowly levels off and declines over a long long time

i believe you will get better but it...will...take..time and there will be set backs if my experience is any indication

best wishes
      good luck
      mock turtle

13. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Thankyou for that Mock Turtle. Its only noise that makes it worse like this, like a lot worse that then stays worse. Maybe it is a long spike/plateau. I wish I could get used to it and learn to deal with it. Doesnt seem to be going that way at all :(

14. Laperson

Laperson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right Ear :) David Letterman has it in both ears.

15. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Louise...its hard to believe that YOUR BRAIN WILL GET BORED with tinnitus

but it will

hang in there

best wishes mt

16. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Laperson said,

"Right Ear :) David Letterman has it in both ears"

are you saying you have it exclusively...or are you saying mostly... in your right ear..im confused

are you saying that letterman has tinnitus in both ears...yes i wouldnt argue...ive never...NEVER...met a person who only has tinnitus in one ear

best wishes
      mt

17. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Thanks MT. I dont think about anything but T. I hope my brain will get bored of it as you say. It keeps changing (for the worse) and has darting sounds in it so its hard to ignore. It might be easier if it was one pitch and one noise.

18. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mine would be the left ear, although i believe that my right ear also is now at the same level as my left. ( HISSING, PITCH SOUND ALSO) How is that so? is it the brain maybe? I feel both ears are now leveled....

19. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Waldo, nice to meet you

your question, "How is that so? is it the brain maybe? "..is one of the BIG questions about tinnitus

where....is....tinnitus.... "located"...... , ah yes the big question indeed

we argue here (debate) that very question from time to time at tinnitus talk

the majority of the well informed believe tinnitus is in the brain

i dont exactly share that opinion, but, agree there is a lot of good evedence for the theory

i think...(guess) that tinnitus "is located" in many places between the ear and various brain structures, and in order to experience it a muti system breakdown must occur

so tinnitus can be reduced by fixing any of the broken linked parts in the hearing "system"

but ultimately i believe that one place and one place only in the body is the right target for a tinnitus "curre" , that is, if all damaged stereocillia could be repaired or replaced i believe tinnitus would subside to a "normal level" (ha ha, some researchers have shown that evreybody has tinnitus, but that normal people have it at a low low level...whatever)

for me, the kicker is that there are both efferent and afferent nerve pathways leading to and from the ear to the brain ! ! ! what that means is that the brain hears sound from the ear and sends sound to the ear...or rather the brain gets signals from the ear (cochlea) and sends signals to the cochlea

and..if the cochlea is injected with an opiate (lidocaine) the tinnitus stops

my guess that the outer hearing cells (the ones that send sound (signals) to the ear) are firing like crazy in the frequencies where we "hear" tinnitus"

but all this is, guesswork, on my part based upon reading as much as i can and then imagining a model to explain the sensation

i further "guess" that as we have a dominant side to our brains (left handed v right handedness) so too are other sensense (sight, left eye v right) affected , and tinitus suspetibility on the left side may be related. ?

(test...do right handed people have more tinnitus from the left ear ?

anyway this whole tinnitus thing has got me quite confused and like the rest here, i struggle

best wishes in the new year to all
      mock turtle

20. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi MT, Yeah, i notice my T, is louder in my left ear drum. Although, sometimes i recognize the fact that it might take place in the brain. I have a Hiss Sound. My main concern is that i hope it habituates over time, being this young and having T is the worst thing ever! Today, ill be having a complete Audio-gram exam by my ENT. I will then recognize what frequency is damaged or so on!

21. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Let us know how did it go!

22. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I will, Its only 2 hours away!

-Wish me luck, please keep me up in prayer. I can find any new information, best bet i will keep all you guys updated. I want all of us to be healed from this, i feel all your pain, frustrations.

23. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      waldo

the hiss sound, in my opinion is a good sign....likely to improve.... as opposed to several other possible tinnitus sounds

i have several sounds going on and one of the worst is this morse code and or fax machine over the telephone sound thats all crazy and changing and really just nuts

then there is the EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound thats way high up like a tea kettle whistle but even higher and it gets louder and quieter and louder like a mosquito near the ear... hhhhggggggrrrrrr

best wishes
      mt

24. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Sympathies MT. Mine has turned into a sort of circle of sound. Its spinning so fast. I hate the speed thing.

25. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      yep, me too, i get a left right thing, especially early in the morning that "sounds" like the tinnitus is circling my head...crazy...sorry for both of us

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      My 'circle' of sound is a tight one all within my left ear. Its like fast spinning small circle of noise. I feel like there's only me with this sound and I find that scary :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bobbi

Bobbi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I HAVE HAD TINNITUS IN MY LEFT EAR ONLY UNTIL TODAY. TODAY IT STARTED IN MY RIGHT EAR ALSO, THANK GOD I HAVE ONLY TWO EARS.

28. mintblue
      Supportive

mintblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Someone wanna start another thread with a poll? Mine is worse in the left, but my ear canal is also much wider on the left.

• Like Like x 1