Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ruud1boy

ruud1boy Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 2006. Severe since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      No - no-one does yet. There isn't any hard info about how much it's going to cost anywhere, just educated guesses - c. £4-5k.

2. ruud1boy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      To be fair, Neuromod haven't exactly buried this info. They've been saying all along that a large percentage of trial participants experienced 'clinically significant' improvement / reduction / benefits from the device. Their study paper defines 'clinically significant' as a THI reduction of 7 points or more.

To my mind, 7 points is jack all, but they have been relatively open as to what they're reporting / claiming. I'd be......slightly disappointed let's say, if I spent 4 grand and my THI score went down by 7. If it went down by 'or more' that might be more palatable. 20 points would do for me thanks, to get me back down to moderate tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. NoBigDeal

NoBigDeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      I couldn't find any information about the price, where do these educated guesses come from?

4. ruud1boy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      Hi Mentos,

Either I've misunderstood your post or you've got your figures wrong.

If the numbers you've quoted are correct, why the flip are you on this site?? If your tinnitus can be masked by 15 dB of noise, which is about the noise level caused by me pressing these keys, then surely you can't hear it in day to day life?

5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I can't believe after 30 years still junk science!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Don't these companies have patents? How could others reverse engineer it?

7. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Unfortunately I can hear it quite often during the day, also while watching TV. In fact rain sound of 15 dB does mask it, but sometimes even with 30 dB background noise I can still hear my tinnitus. Rain is broadband and masks well, other sounds of 15 dB for sure do not mask it so even 15 dB tinnitus can be a burden. I lost my managerial position at work due to mild tinnitus because I could not concentrate well enough and I could not fully use my intellectual potential. That's why even though my tinnitus is mild from MML perspective it had moderate impact on my life as per THI.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. ruud1boy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      They were charging €3500 for it 4 years ago, so they're not going to do another 4 years worth of testing and investing to sell it for less than they were originally. I'm clinging to the fantasy that they might do, but it's extremely unlikely.

If they have a sense of humour, they could sell it for £3999 to test AnnV's resolve.

• Funny Funny x 2
    9. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It was €2500 incl the consultation back then.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Based on that LinkedIn post by the London Tinnitus Clinic, we should see a release in Ireland and London this summer?

So probably July or August I’m guessing. They wouldn’t post that on Twitter (post is a few pages back) talking about 11 locations in London and even more in other places this summer if it wasn’t for real.

11. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I'm just hoping that if it works, then we can use it again as needed???

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yeah. If nothing else, I have a small hope that maybe this device could prevent my tinnitus from getting permanently worse, as in, if my tinnitus got louder I could use it to bring my tinnitus back down, to what it is now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They covered that in the interview. They just said they don’t know. They haven’t tried that. There was some “maybe” type of answer thrown in there of it helping again if someone got a spike after treatment. They didn’t test that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Skinjob
      Batty

Skinjob Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 90s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bowie, The Chameleons, etc.
      Neuromonics gave me a dramatic placebo effect for about two weeks -- My tinnitus was quieter, my ears felt more robust and far less vulnerable. I felt almost cured. Then I woke up one Sunday morning and it all went away. My tinnitus was back in full force, my hyperacusis had returned. I was utterly heartbroken.

If we could harness our own placebo effect, we wouldn't need any other kind of treatment. We could cure ourselves. I still can't explain it.

After that, Neuromonics didn't help me much. I kept using it faithfully for a long time after that. I habituated after using it for about two years. But I think I would have habituated on my own.

And Neuromonics has a similar name to the company that makes the Lenire treatment, but they could not be more different. Lenire will be the first commercially available treatment that attenuates tinnitus. Bi-modal stimulation is a major step forward.

• Optimistic x 6
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    15. Skinjob
      Batty

Skinjob Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 90s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bowie, The Chameleons, etc.
      I sound like a Lenire True Believer in my previous post. Yes, I am impressed by bimodal stimulation and think it is the best hope tinnitus sufferers have at the moment. But I may be wrong. Maybe @kelpiemsp's and @Clare B's recoveries were flukes. I admit I'm putting all of my eggs in one bimodal basket.

If I am wrong about Lenire in particular and bimodal stimulation in general, then I will admit being wrong publicly, on this forum. But I'm not posting any pics of any of my body parts. It is bad enough that people on this forum suffer from tinnitus; I don't want to make anybody blind on top of it.

• Funny Funny x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      It's disappointing that this organisation is involved once again with a new tinnitus treatment.

They've been happy to charge diabolical fees for a treatment such as ACRN, which did so little for so many, for years.

And here they are once again. Rest assured, if they're involved, they will happily drain the wallets of any desperate sufferers that walk in their door.

Now I know it will cost, big time!

• Agree Agree x 4
    17. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Aside from conventional treatments, we only have one basket at the minute.

18. ruud1boy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      What was he congratulating him for?

19. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I can't find the status any longer, but basically he was sharing the news story that they're closer to commercial release that's been shared here already.

20. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thank you so much for answering me and sharing your experience with Neuromonics.

Could someone explain me the history behind MuteButton, or give me some info? Is it the same device as Neuromod's Lenire? What happened with MuteButton? Was it a fail?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ostensibly they took it off the market so they could focus their resources on getting proper clinical trial data. Probably this would be so it could get past the FDA and get US release... FDA approval requires better data for devices than does the CE mark system used in Europe.

22. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Indeed. Good example: the dreaded blatantly awful Antinitus patch had a CE Mark. As far as I understand, it means pretty much nothing else but that it shouldn't cause death or serious injury. It's not a sign of efficacy, for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Are you hopeful for this treatment Markku? You must have seen a lot of them come and go over the years.

If you can't answer for whatever reason, that's fine. Just curious to know while deciding whether to go for it or not.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    24. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The European CE mark system doesn’t even mean a device won’t cause serious injury. Professor Carl Heneghan from the Oxford Centre for evidence based medicine tried to prove this by getting orange fruit netting approved as a medical device.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scandal-of-fruit-netting-approved-as-surgical-implant-dvcqd2rt9mr

Luckily Neuromod will hopefully have published clinical data soon once they get past peer review which should provide at least some reassurance as to safety.

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      It is a shame unscrupulous people can't be removed from the society without consequences.

26. zoid
      Curious

zoid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh man, I really really really hope they still sell it for around €2500. I would get it immediately, €4000 is a different story.

Can't wait for some news.

27. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Does anyone know if any technical changes were made from MuteButton to Lenire or is it the same device that was released in 2015, just with clinical trials beneath its belt?

• Good Question Good Question x 6
    28. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      Just to get the facts right:

There is nothing stopping Neuromod from writing what they want about Lenire in their advertisements, right?

29. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I don't think that's correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To @ruud1boy, @SignalExec and @Mentos:

Thanks very much for this fact finding reportage.

When you mention such figures as "7 points, 15 points", etc., is this the equivalent of an overall percentage reduction?

And, if not exactly, how would these reductions be expressed percentage-wise?

Thanks, DaveFromChicago