Life Goes On...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andunwoody, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      On 20th September I flew from London to Newark and returned to London on 27th September. I used my noise cancelling headphones for part of each flight to listen to music or an audio book, I briefly used earplugs on the return flight in a futile attempt to get some sleep. I used to chew gum during ascent/descent to prevent any potential eustachian tube problems but forgot to bother on both flights.

The change to my T after either flight was precisely zero.

Last Sunday my son phoned me first thing in the morning with a surprise invite to go to Wembley to see the Jags v Colts NFL London game. (My son lives in Sweden and I had no idea he was in England so it really was a surprise!! ).

In my haste to get ready I forgot to grab any earplugs, naturally it was a very noisy afternoon but again absolutely no change to my T. We are Colts fans so the Jags winning was the only downside to the day :-(. Yesterday I went to the cinema for the first time in years, again I forgot the earplugs, again no change to my T. This morning we flew from London to Edinburgh and are now in Carnoustie for a few days to watch the pro-am Alfred Dunhill Links Championship.

Once again the flight has had zero effect on my T. So all in all a very busy couple of weeks.

Now I want to make it very clear my T has not improved or lessened, it's every bit as loud, and constant 24/7 in both ears, as it ever was but it just doesn't bother me in the way it used to.

The fear of 'what if' has subsided and I no longer wear myself out putting 'precautions' in place, I'm just getting on with and enjoying life.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Glad you had a great time!
      finally a postive thread i was expecting something bad at the end lol
      happy for you

3. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Fantastic, may I ask what was the cause of your tinnitus and how long have you been dealing with it??

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      @Jason C I have had sporadic T for at least twenty years. It progressed to moderate (at the time I thought it was severe....little did I know) about eight years ago after a stapedectomy op to correct the hearing loss in my left ear failed, the hearing loss was due to otosclerosis. In the past two years I have had two attacks of Ménière's type symptoms lasting about six weeks, vertigo, loss of balance and bouts of complete hearing loss (very scary and such a relief when the hearing returns) this has left me with a slight reduction in in hearing in my right ear and constant T in that ear as well. It hasn't been fun (understatement!!) and I although I feel much better my confidence has taken a beating. Experience has taught that some things, (stress is particularly bad) will make my T more noticeable but that it will soon calm again.