Listening to Music

Discussion in 'Support' started by bellafjelle, Feb 17, 2017.

1. bellafjelle
      Angelic

bellafjelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault which perforated my ear drum (Spike 2017 unknown)
      Hello everyone,

When I first got T 10 years ago, music listening was a huge factor in my habituation and I love to listen to music (through normal speakers - not headphones). I have nearly always listened to music on safe levels (my T is not directly noise induced).

I recently got a spike that still hasn't faded, and I want to continue listening to my music but I have been somewhat afraid of listening to anything at all out of fear of worsening the spike.

However, I've measured my normal casual music listening, and it is between 50-65 dB. I used to enjoy listening to music 2-3 hours a day on this level. Whenever I feel tired I do reduce the level to like 50-55 dB.

Is this reasonable?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      As long as you feel ok with it and does not hurt your ears you should be fine at that level just be sensible and turn it down if needed...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. William Oliveira
      Pacman

William Oliveira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Anything below 80db is safe for long periods. After 80db, long exposure can cause damage. At least according to The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). See http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

So yeah, anything below 80db that doesn't cause any discomfort should be fine, don't think about it too much.

I personally like listening to music on low volume, but when I go out and music is playing, even if it's louder than what I'm used to, and I'm not feeling anything wrong, I just go with it.

Always carrying my db meter though. I like doing many things, one of them is taking care of my ears.

4. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yea 80 and below I feel is ok. I don't even need a bd meter now. I'm pretty accurate at just guessing the noise level now.
      The shit thing about tinnitus and mild hearing loss though is that Music just sounds shit now.