Living with Hyperacusis My Whole Life — The Constant Annoyance of Noise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ecca, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Ecca
      Alienated

Ecca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all, I am new here.

My name is Ecca, and ever since I was three years old in preschool my Hyperacusis started. I do not know the cause, though I have been labeled by councilors at my school as "Having Auditory Problems" And "Sensory Issues".

I recall going through a series of counseling for these problems. I HATED all noise. I recall crying every time kids screamed, or some load noise came to be. I could hear EVERY SINGLE noise in the room of my school, as well as outside of it. This even happened in my house. All horses bothered me. t did not help that I lived by a busy road either. Cars constantly passing by drove me insane, as well as my neighbors mowing the lawn and using weed whackers by my window. Dogs barking would make me wail in pain, I hated the frequency of noise they produced.

This would all escalate to Insomnia, and increase of my severe anxiety to this very day. People screaming at me would trigger a fight or flight response, as well as a severe migraine from the pitch of the sound level. I hate noise, so I listen to music allot.

Music is the only form of sound that does not bother me as much. Though at times, my ears and head start to hurt putting headphones in. Hyperacusis is like living with constant screaming in my head. I hear ringing in my ears, amplified noises. I can hear my mom saying something under her breath when I am in a separate room! Noises hurt my head and it's a constant anxiety for me. What do I do? I just realized that I have Hyperacusis.

Has anyone else here gone through something similar to Hyperacusis?

How does it ruin and affect your life? I cannot leave my house now because EVERYTHING is so horribly loud. The people talking, walking, the traffic, the cars motor noise, everything I can hear when I leave my home. I cannot afford therapy for this, or treatments. What should I do?

Thank you for your time!

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hi there :)

I know first hand, how awful and painful hyperacusis is. I had it when i first go tinnitus close to 30 years ago. My ears were very sensitive and full of pain all the time. I found a reputable audiologist and went through a treatment that got rid of it. I feel your pain and wish you the best in your life and your journey :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ecca
      Alienated

Ecca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks man, I hope to get treatment someday.

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Ecca
      Why not just use ear muffs when the noise gets too much ?
      I also have sensitive ears from shooting rifles I will not hesitate to slap a pair a muffs whenever I feel it's loud regardless of what others may think
      Some People have sensitive eyes and wear sunglasses too this is pretty much the same

• Like Like x 1