Living with Tinnitus and What Drug Regimen Has Helped Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by papu, Aug 30, 2018.

1. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I suffered an acoustic trauma on March 7, 2015. Since then been living with tinnitus.

The first month was the worst. I went through the whole process we all go through, why me, a lot of crying, anxiety, loss of sleep and suicidal thoughts.

Joined the AM-101 program, went to three rounds with no help.

6 months in, decided to go with Trobalt which helped me a lot during 4 to 6 months with the drawbacks that you have to up the dose every two weeks or loss the effect and finally had to drop it because of visual problems.

Managed to habituate to the condition and by habituation I mean I accepted finally that my condition was for all my life and that I will have to live with it.

After that since got a little better but don't get me wrong I still have tinnitus and get spikes some times and I would love to get rid of this condition at some point in my life (still holding hope).

I just wanted to share what works for me.

Right now after different treatments I found that the only thing that really helps me is clonazepam or rivotril.

I take 1 mg almost every night and it helps to calm the tinnitus down.

It's best if taken on an empty stomach.

Also I have found if I take it with 300 mg on Neurontin it helps even more. Not every day, maybe only on weekends when it's harder because of the silence in the house.

I don't take the clonazepam regularly either, I do it for one week or two and the I go to 0.5 mg every other day and finally stop all together for at least a week. And start again the whole cycle.

If I take it continuously it loses somehow its effect on tinnitus.

So if you have an addictive personality type or problem I will not recommend it for you since clonazepam can be highly addictive to some people.

But if you are like me that can stop for a couple of weeks and start again it does help a lot to cope better with the situation. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1