Living with Tinnitus for Over 3 Years — Just Learned It May Be from Meningitis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LaurenB, Aug 19, 2016.

1. LaurenB
      Breezy

LaurenB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meningitis?
      I've had tinnitus for over 3 and a half years. It stinks.

Today I saw the ENT for my chronic sinusitis and also for a hearing check and to talk about my tinnitus. I think I've been puzzling them for these years because they didn't know why I had developed T and hearing loss as well. I'm under 40 and they said it's not uncommon for these things to happen, but usually it's in older adults unless it's from obvious reasons (loud noises, etc).

When the doc was talking he mentioned again how it's so strange that I have T when usually there's a known cause. He happened to mention "viral infection" and I said, you mean like meningitis? Know they're convinced that I suffered nerve damage when I had meningitis over 10 years ago but it took a while for the hearing loss and T to show up.

I guess I feel a little satisfaction knowing (maybe) what caused this, but at the same time it's kind of depressing because it really does feel like I'll just be living with this forever. And also I'll probably continue to lose hearing in that one ear.

At least I have one good ear, right? ;)

2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Not really related but ... one of the symptoms of meningitis is limited tolerability to loud sounds...
      Any connection to hyperacusis maybe...? Did you have any hyperacusis back then?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LaurenB
      Breezy

LaurenB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meningitis?
      I can't really recall to be honest. I had a not-quite 2-year-old and was 6 months pregnant. To be honest it was all a blur. I will say that in general (before the tinnitus and hearing loss) I was sensitive to loud noises. Not sure if that was only after the meningitis or if it was there all along.