Looking for Answers

Discussion in 'Support' started by Holly1987, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Heya

Firstly I'm sorry if all my questions and posts are annoying, I truly am so grateful to those who have taken the time to help. I'm just so unsure and terrified about what is happening to me right now. I'm sitting at my desk trying to work and it's so difficult, today I am having trouble hearing in meetings over my T.

Just this week my T has increased in volume significantly. It most definitely isn't noise related and I haven't exposed myself to anything that would cause a spike in 2 months, I am extremely careful. I wasn't feeling stressed or anxious before the spike and was actually coping fairly well with the tinnitus.

I accept this may very well be here to stay and I'm sure with time I will adapt, however these unexplained spikes are truly terrifying, every morning this week I've woken up to an increase.

I've seen three doctors now and no one can give any answers. ENT booked for three months away (long wait list) they have all told me in the meantime to just live with it.

Just some basic facts:

* 29 years old, no history of any ear problems apart from the tinnitus which randomly started 2 months ago
      * No exposure to excessively loud noise, no concerts etc ( I'm a massive homebody)
      * Hearing test perfect
      * MRI clear
      * no infections, colds, flu etc..

I just have no idea what's going on :( is it normal to have random unexplained spikes over a 1 week period?

2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Tinnitus can be somewhat unpredictable at times. I'm assuming that you haven't began taking any new medication because you've stated, "no infections, cold, flu etc."

That said, is there anything new that you've added to your diet such as any new supplements? I'm asking because I recently experienced a ten day spike after I began taking a certain brand of magnesium citrate. Additionally, another forum member had the same experience with it that I did.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You could try a nasil spray or a antihistamine see if it helps.
      Try to stay as calm as you can and play relaxing music when you can.
      If you have a fan at work it might help .

Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Holly1987

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for taking the time to reply. The only change is some thryoid medication I started 1 week called thyroxine. My Dr assured me it wouldn't affect my tinnitus and I even called mid week to double check. I have since learnt (from this forum) it may actually cause spikes :( so that's rather frustrating but would also explain a lot.

5. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Well,...I think the fact that the spikes began around the time you began taking the Thyroxine is not just a coincidence. Have you already read this post?:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hypothyroidism.19900/#post-230215

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Holly1987

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown