Looking for Some Encouragement — Feel Like I'm Starting All Over Again

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jenni8619, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Happy Monday!

It’s been a few months since I last posted on TT. I’ve haven’t left, still have been around, just not posting as much, as I was doing great! I thought I even habituated after 3 months, because my T & H were not bothering me. I was feeling like myself again :) but the last 2 weeks, I’m not sure what happened, I feel like I’m starting all over again :( I haven’t exposed myself to any loud environments, just your normal day to day noises! But here I am again … with ear pain, ear fullness, sensitivity to noises and new tones that are annoying me! I haven’t been feeling too anxious about it, but it has robbed me from some good night sleeps.

I’m hoping it will settle down soon, but from what I’ve been reading around here is that you don’t have much control over it and that our ears can take a very long time to heal.

I was hoping to get some encouraging feedback from members, is this normal, to have set backs after doing well for a few months?!

Thank you for reading my post :)

Jenni

2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      The same thing happened to me, it's not settled down yet butty ability to ignore it has improved and that's what I rely on and will continue to rely on, the ability to ignore it.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I got a setback at the end of month 4. My setback was the result of a second acoustic trauma. I experienced some improvement over the following month, but this improvement is much slower than the improvement after the first acoustic trauma.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for your responses @Ambassador @Bill Bauer

Could an acoustic trauma be something simple like .. standing next to a vehicle with loud squeaky breaks? Or pan frying chicken and hearing a popping noise? Stupid questions, sorry, I'm still learning all of these terms! I'm only asking bc I did experience those 2 events in the last 2 weeks. That and ... walking in the wind for hours with cotton balls stuffed in my ears!

I would like to educate myself more on these symptoms.

Thank you :)

Jenni

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Anything is possible when our ears have been compromised (as evidenced by our T), but what you are describing above sounds a lot like the kind of a thing that might cause a Temporary spike. According to a poll I setup on this site, more than 50% report their longest temporary spike lasting over a week.

Personally, I got a spike (lasted three days) after being near a slamming door.

There is still a chance that what you have been experiencing is just a temporary spike.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you @Bill Bauer !!

I'm really hoping it is only a temporary spike! I'm just frustrated, I was doing good than boom ... back to square one.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Like you, I got my first taste of T in February. At the end of May, I made one wrong move, and it erased a lot of my progress. I picked up a phone that I don't normally use, and pressed it to my bad ear. Turns out its volume was stuck at maximum. The loud sound went directly into my ear. I moved my hand right away, but it was too late...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My H ended about 2 months after my first acoustic trauma. My T is high pitched now (after the second trauma), so I am aware of it even when it gets quieter... Just before the trauma, it sounded like a hiss a lot of the time. I miss that...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to deal with ear sensitivity or pain. It's very draining!

Sending positive healing vibes your way @Bill Bauer

... with time I know it will get better.

• Like Like x 1